Re-Using old laptop [Solved]

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
excollier
Level 4
Level 4

Re-Using old laptop [Solved]

Post by excollier »

I have an old Compaq laptop (around 8 - 10 years old) a 2138EA, with a small 18GB HDD and 1GB ram, single processor, running Windows XP. My question is would it be sufficient to run Mint 13, completely replacing XP.
This is so I can introduce my mother to computers, at 75 she has never used one before, and I don't want her hampered by the constant slow starts (as XP and AVG updates at every boot up), and Mint is so fast to boot and no annoying Windows updates, so easy to use too (as I found as a recent convert from Vista).
All opinions welcome.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 5 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Registered Linux user #557695
MX Linux user these days - I introduce newbies via Mint
passerby

Re: Using old laptop

Post by passerby »

As long as you use MATE (or better yet, xfce) I think it should run fine. Better than XP, at least.
Have you considered giving Puppy Linux a try instead? It's amazing on netbooks and old laptops.
excollier
Level 4
Level 4

Post by excollier »

Would it run Cinnamon? That's what I use and am familiar with,(so easy to use, are Mate and XFCE similarly easy?) and I have to teach my mother the absolute basics of using a computer. I haven't seen Puppy Linux, but I am aware of it.
passerby

Post by passerby »

They're both easy. XFCE is lighter, but I consider MATE to be easier. (XFCE is the sort of DE you customize to death)
Also, the default MATE desktop is similar to Cinnamon's.
excollier
Level 4
Level 4

Post by excollier »

Would Cinnamon be too heavy for this laptop? Sorry for being so persistent, but I want to get this right first time. I was just looking at Puppy, seems good too, and a very small download (my broadband is very slow) I do have an iso install disk for Cinnamon that I used myself, but took me nearly six hours to download, and several attempts, so you see I would rather use that for sheer convenience.
passerby

Post by passerby »

If that's the case, why not install cinnamon, see how well it works, then install MATE if it's no good?
excollier
Level 4
Level 4

Post by excollier »

Thanks, I'll chance it and see.
excollier
Level 4
Level 4

Post by excollier »

The laptop wont read the live .iso dvd for Linux Mint, but it did load up Puppy, but wont boot from a usb as recommended, looks like I'm stuck with XP.
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

You could try to use Plop to boot from the USB drive.
wayne128

Post by wayne128 »

excollier wrote:The laptop wont read the live .iso dvd for Linux Mint, but it did load up Puppy, but wont boot from a usb as recommended, looks like I'm stuck with XP.

You can also consider another method, rarely used by people.

That is, use unetbootin, run under WinXP, and use Hard disk install mode.

This is the steps:
1. run WinXP
2. download windows version of unetbootin
3. copy your iso file to WinXP directory, or download from internet
4. run unetbootin
5. choose the path to iso
6. choose the Hard Disk , then OK

unetbootin would copy files for you and 'frugal install' in winXP directory
http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/unetbo ... howitworks

upon reboot, you should have a unetbootin line in the XP boot menu, select that, this allows you to run your Linux ISO in LIVE mode..

http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/unetbo ... stallmodes

Test this live mode first, so that to be sure your old hardware can handle that particular iso.

I did a few installation to an old, , not branded, but younger than your 8-10 year old laptop,
several Mint old DVD ended with bsod. intel graphic issue.
so if you get bsod, do not be surprise, the iso, kernel, graphic are all part of the player.
of course you can still choose different option to boot.. cannot remember how those appear in the boot menu. just try one at a time.
excollier
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Using old laptop [Solved]

Post by excollier »

I finally used Puppy Linux, as Mint was simply a non-starter.
I used their Windows Installer, and now the laptop runs from the HDD as a dual boot, so that's great for the intended purpose, thanks for all the pointers though, much appreciated.
Now I need to find out how to reduce the amount of space XP is occupying (even after getting rid of unused and unnecessary programmes, it still takes up 2/3 of the hdd capacity)
passerby

Post by passerby »

If you don't use the functions, you might save space by disabling hibernate and the page file.
Only if you don't use either, of course. (only done this on 7; I'm assuming it's just as easy on XP)
excollier
Level 4
Level 4

Re-Using old laptop [Almost Solved]

Post by excollier »

Ok, I know I have marked the problem solved, but here's the thing, I have discovered that the laptop will only boot from a live .iso on a cd not on a dvd.
I have downloaded lubuntu, slax, and slitaz images and they all seem to work well from the live cd. I am very familiar with Mint, and the only version small enough for a cd would be Mint 12 lxde.
My question is would it be a good idea to install it (Mint 12) to the laptop, as support ends soon. I figure it's a well sorted distro, and shouldn't give any bother for my mother to use.
Or go with lubuntu, or SliTaz? I've decided it would be a good idea to get rid of XP anyway, as it is filling up the hard drive, and then that would release the whole hd to the new os (whichever I choose)
passerby

Re: Using old laptop [Solved]

Post by passerby »

That would work. If you install mint 12 lxde from cd you could then point the repos to 13 or 14 and attempt an upgrade, if you wanted, but given your internet speed that might take a while, and it certainly isn't as clean.
I think downloading lubuntu then grabbing whatever mint packages you want would be the fastest, easiest and cleanest method.
excollier
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Re-Using old laptop [Almost Solved]

Post by excollier »

Reading your reply there, do you think Lubuntu would be the better option,(as opposed to Mint 12) it is based on Ubuntu 12.10, and is lxde too?
daveinuk
Level 7
Level 7

Post by daveinuk »

This might be worth a go . .. . mint 13 on a CD . . . . . . . extra packages need installing after as per the post. Might be worth a crack . . . . :)

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=103449
excollier
Level 4
Level 4

Post by excollier »

I'll take a look, thanks, but for seeding, my upload speed is pitiful.
No seeds online, never mind.
passerby

Post by passerby »

Yes, I think you'd be better off installing lubuntu 12.04 or 12.10, then pointing the repos to mint and turning it into mint 13 or 14.
I'm sure mint 12 would suffice in regards to functionality, but the misc bug fixes and security updates should never be overlooked.
usbtux

Post by usbtux »

1. download and burn the plop boot manager to CD.

2. using image writer/unetbootin burn your mint13 xfce/mate DVD to a usb.

3. Boot with plop point to the Mint usb

4 . Install MINT13
excollier
Level 4
Level 4

Post by excollier »

I finally had to install Mint 12, Lubuntu wiped XP, and the proceeded to hang part way through the install process, just stopped. I made thre attempts, but no go. I was panicking in case I had bricked a good computer!
Mint 12 went ahead and installed with no hitches, even though the install menus are identical to Lubuntu.
So that's the state of play, a Mint 12 laptop, all updated and running well.
By the way Plop doesn't explain how to install or use it, very confusing.
Has anyone heard of or used Slitaz linux? The live cd worked well for me.

Return to “Installation & Boot”