Installing mint over ubuntu 7.10

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Installing mint over ubuntu 7.10

Postby fjord on Sun May 11, 2008 6:07 pm

I have a dell m1330 where I have the option to install a DELL version of Ubuntu (7.10). The Ubuntu CD comes with all drivers and settings pre-configured for the DELL m1330. I would however like to replace the default Ubuntu with Linux Mint. Is this possible? Or rather (as everything is possible :wink: ) Is this hard to achieve? Will Mint keep the m1330 specific settings during installation? Could anyone point me to a "how-to" or give me a hint on what to do?
Thank you!
fjord
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Installing mint over ubuntu 7.10

Postby 67GTA on Sun May 11, 2008 7:33 pm

Do the Dell drivers have a repository, or are they just on the CD? I don't think it would matter as long as you match the versions Daryna/Gutsy. Maybe you could install Mint, and then use the drivers off the Ubuntu CD. Do a dual boot. That way if Mint doesn't work, you will be able to delete it, and keep Ubuntu. I also don't think there are any Dell drivers that Mint couldn't handle. Most of them should already be included. What type of drivers are they? Try a Mint live CD, and see if everything works properly.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Postby fjord on Mon May 12, 2008 4:17 pm

It seems as the DELL Ubuntu CDs are for re installation only. The DVD simply wipes your disk, create new partitions and install Ubuntu and software. I guess I can install each driver under Mint separately by downloading them from dell and other sources. I asked the question because I was wondering if it was possible simply to swap from Ubuntu 7.10 to Mint 4 in example by changing the main repositories. I guess it's not that simple even though both distributions share the same base. It would be nice though... :)
fjord
Level 1
Level 1

Postby 67GTA on Mon May 12, 2008 9:00 pm

Daryna is actually based on Edgy. You would probably cause more trouble than it's worth. I really don't think there are any drivers that Dell releases that Ubuntu/Mint won't already have. If there is, you should be able to pull them off the CD.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Return to Installation & Boot