Thinkpad S430 - unable

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Esc

Thinkpad S430 - unable

Post by Esc »

Hey folks,
got a bit of an issue trying to install Mint (64bit, XFCE) on my laptop – kinda desperately trying to escape windows 8. Specs: Thinkpad S430 with i5 2.5ghz, 4gb ram, GeForce GT620.

I downloaded the ISO, burned it to a DVD but the computer refuses to boot from it. It just skips past it and boots windows. I tried using the “forced” boot thing, which gives me a menu when I boot. I try selecting Mint and get an error message along the lines of “Windows failed to start … \linux\winboot\wubildr.mbr … a files is missing or containing errors.”

I have tried booting from a USB stick (it won't even let me enter the BIOS menu when I boot, and even if I have set it to boot from USB nothing happens and it boots windows). Also tried downloading the ISO again - but nothing seems to help...

Anyone got any ideas?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
andersau
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Thinkpad S430 - unable

Post by andersau »

Hi, Did you end up getting mint installed? I'm not sure from what you have written whether you are booting into the BIOS first, then trying to boot from the DVD. Are you booting into the BIOS first?

From what I've read you should disable secure boot in the BIOS, then boot from your DVD/CD or USB installation media. I'm getting a Thinkpad S430 in a couple of weeks too, so hopefully I can get rid of windows and install mint. I'm really not keen to face Windows 8.
Esc

Re: Thinkpad S430 - unable

Post by Esc »

Jupp, facepalmed quite hard when I found the secure boot. Thanks for telling me though :)

Couldn't face win8 either... had it for two weeks and almost put my foot through the screen.

Return to “Installation & Boot”