Cannot install LunuxMint 5 Beta

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Husse

Re: Cannot install LunuxMint 5 Beta

Post by Husse »

Did you try compatability mode?
Press any key at the live CD splash and then select it - seems like you need "Safe graphics mode" which is included
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Fred

Post by Fred »

explorer716,

Just remember, It is beta, an early beta at that. It is suppose to be broken. :-)

The idea is for you to find the problems, and hopefully the fixes, and report back to the developers. That is the purpose of having a beta. It isn't suppose to be stable and useful as a desktop system. It is suppose to be a work effort on your part for the project.

Fred

Post by Guest »

I understand that Beta is subject to problems, but maybe this more than a normal bug. As i understand it LinuxMint 5 is a child of Ubuntu 8.04. The problem I describe is all over The internet as occurring in Ubuntu 8.04. For more information I suggest you google Ubuntu 8.04+busybox +Dell.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Did you try "Compatability mode"? It is not found in Hardy, it's an improvement on our part
If that does not help, please try to boot the live CD into recovery mode as described in the troubleshooter - remove "quiet splash --" and add "ro single" in the line with boot options
Then try exit and you may (just may) have success
Please report what happens
This has probably nothing much to do with Linux, but is probably rather an unfortunate consequence of the hidden recovery partition in Dell.

Post by Guest »

I am not familiar with how to use "compatibility mode" or how to boot into recovery mode and remove "quiet splash --" and add "ro single" in the line with boot options. Your help will be appreciated.
Husse

Post by Husse »

I wrote above
Did you try compatability mode?
Press any key at the live CD splash and then select it
Navigate with the arrow keys
Try that
If it does not help look at the bottom of the screen after you have pressed any key
You'll see an editable line ending in quiet splash -- which you remove and the add ro single
This should get you into recovery mode
waldo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by waldo »

I'm getting a similar busybox error on my system, AMD 64 with nVidia built-in on ASUS mainboard, SATA harddisk. The live CD boots fine, and the install appears go as planned. When booting off the harddisk, the grub screen appears OK and the splash screen starts, but then the system hangs with the little meter bar going back and forth for about 10 minutes. Then the busybox error appears. I've tried a couple of options (don't really know what I'm doing here), but nothing works. Any suggestions?
Husse

Post by Husse »

@ waldo
Did you use compatibility mode for the live CD (that's carried on in the install)?
If not it may be that you need to add that now
Boot the live CD and find the /boot/grub/menu.lst in Elyssa
There should be a couple of lines like this
title Linux Mint, kernel 2.6.24-16-generic
root (hd0,1)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24-16-generic root=/dev/sda2 ro quiet splash
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.24-16-generic
The only thing that varies is the location
Delete quiet splash and add the options you find here
http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php ... d_problems
These are the most likely candidates (one or in any combination)
noapic
nolapic
noacpi
acpi=off
pci=noacpi
You may have to use gksudo gedit to edit. If so there is no password, just press enter
sikke

Post by sikke »

You might want to try adding irqpoll to boot parameters especially if your using motherboards with jmicron chips
waldo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by waldo »

Thanks for your responses. I'll try your suggestions when I get home tonight. I'll let you know, or ask more questions.

Waldo
g0lrk
Level 3
Level 3

Post by g0lrk »

I had the 'Busybox' error come up on my box also.
Managed to sort it here by changing the boot order of the sata drive with Elyssa on it.
What I mean is my motherboard has 6 sata ports on it I use 5, if I tried to boot with the drive in say port 3 and something else in port 1 & 2 I got that error!
If I changed it so the drive with Elyssa on it was the lowest port no problem, weird or what?
Took a bit of sorting out but that's what sorted mine at this end.
Don't know why or what.
Pewter details:-Motherboard is an Asus M2N32-SLI Deluxe 4gig memory, AM2 4200 CPU.
Kevin.
waldo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by waldo »

Thanks, g0lrk. Because our ASUS boards are similar, I'm going to experiment with your observation. I forgot that I have Elyssa on an IDE drive. I removed my main SATA drive to test this and stuck it on an unused IDE I have dedicated to experimental installs. I still have a SATA CD drive in the system. However this setup has worked with other Linux distros. (I have one of those geek computers that never has the side cover attached and proudly wears several cables hanging out! :mrgreen: )
g0lrk
Level 3
Level 3

Post by g0lrk »

waldo, sounds like my 'pewter, mine is spreading across my bench with 3 drives hanging out of it!
Wife complains when she comes into my building, but, considering it is my building that I built 20 years just for me and my Ham Radio/'pewters and no-one else uses it can't see what the problem is!!!
Kevin.
waldo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by waldo »

I've tried several combinations of drive locations with my computer, and nothing seems to let Mint Elyssa boot past the splash screen on my system. Mint Daryna, Ubuntu 8.04, Kubuntu, PCLinuxOS, Mandriva, SuSE, and Freespire all work. I even re-downloaded and reinstalled. I guess I'll have to wait until the next release to see if they caught this glitch.

As long as you don't have Playboy centerfolds (they do have a UK edition, right?) strung up all over your PTL (private technical laboratory), your wife has no business complaining. Tell her some old Yank from Illinois says so! :D
Husse

Post by Husse »

hmm
It seems that in the whole of this topic we have not asked if you checked the md5sum and burned slowly :)
waldo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by waldo »

hmm
It seems that in the whole of this topic we have not asked if you checked the md5sum and burned slowly :)
Yup, did that - always do, as a precaution. I come from the "measure twice, cut once" school of constructive laziness. :D Besides, it appears to install just fine to the hard disk. Usually a bad burn will not complete installation.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Did you try different boot options as mentioned earlier in the topic?
As described here
http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php ... ou_install
waldo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by waldo »

Thanks for the reminder, but that is a little beyond my pay grade. :?

Seriously, Ubuntu 8.04 installed just fine on that exact drive in the same IDE location. The only change I've had to make (to both Ubuntu and Mint) was using the safe mode video option to boot the CD into a manageable video mode (1280x1024). Something in Mint has been changed from Ubuntu's install. Perhaps this change was for the better on some systems, but not for mine. I'll try Mint 5 again when it is released, but I have too many things going on right now to spend a lot of time learning this aspect of Linux.

I appreciate your efforts.

Waldo
Husse

Post by Husse »

The only thing different (apart from branding) in the install and "first boot" is that Mint uses gfxgrub - and I disagree on that....
bigbrute

Post by bigbrute »

Hello, I have the same issue. I type in the boot command line at start up, use the tab key I believe and add all_generic_ide and see if that helps.
It helped mine.

Return to “Installation & Boot”