[SOLVED] Shared home partition with Ubuntu and Mint

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Re: Shared home partition with Ubuntu and Mint

Postby Fred on Thu May 15, 2008 5:41 pm

Mapleblack,

Do you now have a symlink in your mint /home called .tomboy?

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby Mapleblack on Thu May 15, 2008 5:49 pm

In Mint I got one in /home/richard/.tomboy yes.

When I click properties it says it's broken =/
I also see that it's linked/home/richard/BuntuHome/richard/tomboy and not to .tomboy.
MIME-type: inode/symlink.

It isn't possible to link to .folders?

also when I double click it it says the directory doesn't exists. Yes ofcourse it doesn't, it hasn't included the "." (dot) :)
Last edited by Mapleblack on Thu May 15, 2008 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mapleblack
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Fred on Thu May 15, 2008 5:50 pm

Mapleblack,

ahhhhh..... Wait a minute! You said folder.

You will need to make a symlink for each file in that folder. Rename the original files with bak.

You will then have a folder full of symlinks instead of a single config file.

Fred

EDIT: Delete the broken symlink. You will need to modify the target name and symlink name as required in the command. Look at it, you will figure it out. :-)
Last edited by Fred on Thu May 15, 2008 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby Mapleblack on Thu May 15, 2008 5:53 pm

The point is that every time you make a note in Tomboy, it creates a new file for the note. Don't tell me I have to symlink all of my files everytime =s (I think I could do so with an * but it would be nicer if it would be auto linked).

Is there really no way to symlink folders?

EDIT: from the man pages:
$ ln -s "path/directory with a space" "target with a space "

Could that be what I want?
Mapleblack
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Fred on Thu May 15, 2008 5:55 pm

Try it and see I don't think it will work but I could be wrong. :-)

EDIT:
ln -s "/home/richard/BuntuHome/richard/.tomboy " "/home/richard/.tomboy "

If that doesn't work try this:
ln -s "/home/richard/BuntuHome/richard/.tomboy/ " "/home/richard/.tomboy/ "

Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby Mapleblack on Thu May 15, 2008 6:16 pm

"You will be run over by a bus." OMG well thank you :x

I'm rebooting a lot and stuff right now.
Mapleblack
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Fred on Thu May 15, 2008 6:20 pm

Mapleblack,

lol... yeah I guess you are busy. Please let me know how it works out. Maybe this old dog can learn a new trick. :-)

Fred

Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby Mapleblack on Thu May 15, 2008 6:34 pm

The first one gave me a broken symlink in my /home/richard dir.
Link Target: /home/richard/BuntuHome/richard/.tomboy

I removed it.

The second gave me a link in the /home/richard/.tomboy folder.
"The Link " " is Broken. Move it to Trash?"
"This link can't be used, because its target "/home/richard/BuntuHome/richard/.tomboy/ " doesn't exist."
Only tried this in Elyssa, but the above targets should be right..?

Almost there? :)
Mapleblack
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Fred on Thu May 15, 2008 6:43 pm

Mapleblack,

Let's try dumping "richard" from the target.

ln -s "/home/richard/BuntuHome/.tomboy/ " "/home/richard/.tomboy/ "

I believe you said the above one came closest to working.

Fred

Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby Mapleblack on Thu May 15, 2008 6:57 pm

This one actually comes closest to working:
ln -s /home/richard/.tomboy /home/richard/BuntuHome/richard/.tomboy

However it creates a (working) link to /home/richard/BuntuHome/richard/.tomboy inside /home/richard/.tomboy.
I tweaked it somewhat but still cannot get it working..

edit:
ln -s /home/richard/.tomboy /home/richard/BuntuHome/richard
ln: creating symbolic link `/home/richard/BuntuHome/richard/.tomboy': File exists

doesn't work either because the .tomboy folder obviously exists.. =/
Well I'm going to sleep, just another boring day at school tomorrow.
oh 1000 posts, gratz :)
Last edited by Mapleblack on Thu May 15, 2008 7:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mapleblack
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Fred on Thu May 15, 2008 7:00 pm

Mapleblack,

Ok... Let's stop guessing. Let me do a bit of research and I'll get back to you. :-)

Fred

Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby Fred on Thu May 15, 2008 8:10 pm

Mapleblack,

If one of the two below don't do the trick I am at a lose to say what to do. According to what I looked at this should do it. I don't understand why it isn't. It is working on my system.

ln -sf /home/richard/BuntuHome/richard/.tomboy .tomboy

ln -sf /home/richard/BuntuHome/.tomboy .tomboy

I am not sure that "richard" is in your path. That's why I gave you both with and without.

Fred
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby Mapleblack on Fri May 16, 2008 1:16 pm

richard is in my path indeed.
Your command gives me a link to the correct folder, but inside /home/richard/.tomboy ...

$ ln -sf ~/BuntuHome/richard/.tomboy/*.note ~/.tomboy
This creates soft links in ~/.tomboy/ to the notes in ~/BuntuHome/richard/.tomboy and works fine (after restarting tomboy). Syncing the folder itself doesn't work. I guess you cannot 'merge' folders, since the folder already exists. I actually need to sync the folder contents.

After a lot of googling ... I give up =p

Well thanks for everything Fred!
Mapleblack
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Fred on Fri May 16, 2008 1:29 pm

Mapleblack,

Wait a minute, that is where you want to be. So when the Tomboy program tries to open the .tomboy file on one system, it is actually opening it on another system. That is what you want, if I am understanding your needs correctly.

Fred

EDIT: Once you start using the same folder through symlinks, you don't have any folders to sync. I must be misunderstanding something.

Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby Mapleblack on Fri May 16, 2008 3:05 pm

Uhm..

Well basicly I need to use the same folder on two/more distro's yes. Yea that's right.
It works if I link the notes manually. That means I have to create a new symlink for every note I create.

So I can symlink the notes in the folder manually but I cannot link the folders with each other. Can't I get the folder contents to be symlinked automaticly?
This is getting annoying right? :?
Mapleblack
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Fred on Fri May 16, 2008 3:27 pm

Mapleblack,

By symlinking two of the installs to the third real folder, will they all not share the notes in that one folder?

You would have one real folder and two symlinks to that folder. Will that not work? If not, the programs must be marking the notes somehow that prevents them from being used by another program.

I would just like to see it work for you. I have never done that with Tomboy. I have linked other programs, like Opera and Firefox bookmarks, but never anything like Tomboy.

Fred

Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby Mapleblack on Fri May 16, 2008 5:20 pm

OK lets take the Buntu folder. Say I'd link /home/richard/.tomboy to /home/richard/Buntuhome/richard/.tomboy in both Daryna as well in Elyssa.
It should work with this right?
richard@Sphynx ~ $ ln -sf /home/richard/BuntuHome/richard/.tomboy .tomboy

However this creates a link to /home/richard/Buntuhome/richard/.tomboy inside ~/tomboy:

I'm also curious how you managed with your bookmarks :)
Attachments
Schermafdruk.png
Schermafdruk.png (221.16 KiB) Viewed 2258 times
Mapleblack
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Fred on Fri May 16, 2008 7:33 pm

Mapleblack,

Here is the set-up process for my wife to share my bookmarks.

ln -sf target_file/foldername symlink_filename ....... Base Command

In her system, in a terminal:

cd /home/denise/.mozilla/firefox/79gmvcic.default

mv -i bookmarks.html bookmarksBAK.html

ln -sf /home/denise/Fred/fred/.mozilla/firefox/79gmvcic.default/bookmarks.html bookmarks.html

Close terminal.

This allows her to see and write to my bookmarks when she opens her Firefox. She is actually using my bookmark file through the symlink. Both of our /home directories are read/write for the other. Otherwise we would have permission problems. You shouldn't have that problem since you used the same username.

Now... in the Tomboy thing. Maybe I am not understanding something, so correct me if I am getting it wrong. You have three installs, with Tomboy and a config folder in each. You want to use the same config folder with all three installs. I am assuming that regardless of which program puts a note in the config folder the other install programs can see and use it. This could be the fly in the ointment.

Assuming we can do this, we want to rename the config folders in Mint 4 & 5 so they aren't functional, but won't be lost. Make sure Tomboy isn't running. Let's make a symlink to the config folder we will be using in Ubuntu. I am assuming it is called .tomboy

mv -i .tomboy .tomboyBAK

ln -sf /home/richard/BuntuHome/richard/.tomboy .tomboy

You should now have a symlink in the Mint install you did this in called .tomboy. If we click on it we should see the inside of the .tomboy folder on Ubuntu. If we do the same thing on the other Mint install we should see the same thing when we click on that symlink too. We have only one .tomboy folder but we can see the inside of it by clicking on .tomboy on any one of the three installs.

If you get to this point then you need to test and see if all three installs can read and write to that one folder and see the other notes that were put in by other installs. That will determine if this idea will work. The Tomboy program may or may not recognize the work of the other programs. I just don't know, as I said before. I am hoping for the best. :-)

Fred

Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby Mapleblack on Sat May 17, 2008 5:36 am

Do this and that hmmm ... ah it works! :lol:
Awesome!
I can now see my Daryna and Ubuntu notes in Elyssa and vice .. vice versa :D

Thank you so much Fred.

I'm going to apply this trick to .transmission (torrent) too and going to try the bookmarks later.
Ahh.. so nice
Mapleblack
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Fred on Sat May 17, 2008 9:12 am

Mapleblack,

You are welcome. You have been a pleasure to work with. Many/most would become dissolutioned/frustrated with the amount of work I have asked you to do. :-)

I wish you well in your studies, your willingness to work and stick to the the task at hand will serve you well in that area too.

Please edit your original post and put [Solved] in the subject line.

Fred

EDIT: At some point you may be interested in backing up your files to an external drive or whatever. I wrote some very simple scripts, and instructions on how to make them, if you would be interested. The link is below if you want to take a look at them sometime.

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=12265

Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

PreviousNext

Return to Installation & Boot