Mint 14 Cinnamon install fail - swap partition too small

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
wheelwrightmike

Mint 14 Cinnamon install fail - swap partition too small

Post by wheelwrightmike »

Hello,
I'm trying to install Linux Mint 14 Cinnamon 32 bit on an eeePC 1000HE with 2G DRAM and a new 750G hard drive.

I first let the installer create one partition and install. The install failed. I did not note the error. I thought it might be because I had my cell phone plugged into the USB to charge and it was mounted.

Then I ran Gparted and re-partitioned the one large partition of ext-4 into two partitions. One 8G and the other was the remainder of the disk. I left the swap partition the first install created alone. This install failed and informed me that some partition needed to be at least 3.0G.

Back to Gparted... The swap partition that was created by the first install was only 2G. I tried to repartition the swap partition to 3G. Gparted made it 2G again with 1G of unallocated space.

I tried again and this time tried to make a 4G swap. Gparted created a 2G swap with 2G of unallocated space.

I also repartitioned the '/' partition to 20G.

I tried the install again with the same result. Some partition needs to be at least 3G. The user guide does say that the swap partition is required to be 1.5x the amount of memory. It looks like the installer is enforcing that rule.

Is this a Gparted issue?

Thanks,
-Mike in Ohio, USA
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
viking777

Re: Mint 14 Cinnamon install fail - swap partition too small

Post by viking777 »

Not sure what it is but Linux can be installed, booted and run without any swap file at all - I know, I have done it (though not recently).
This install failed and informed me that some partition needed to be at least 3.0G.
True enough for satisfactory hibernation, you do need a swap file about equal to installed ram, but if that is enforced by the partitioner nowadays, it is news to me (doesn't mean to say it is not so).

Can you try again and tell us what "some partition" really is? Also could you post a screenshot of the gparted screen where it constantly creates 'unallocated space'.
wheelwrightmike

Re: Mint 14 Cinnamon install fail - swap partition too small

Post by wheelwrightmike »

viking777 wrote:Can you try again and tell us what "some partition" really is? Also could you post a screenshot of the gparted screen where it constantly creates 'unallocated space'.
I won't be able to try again till next week, but it did NOT say what partition needed to be 3G. The message was very vague. I paraphrased the message to "some partition", but that's about what it said.

That's why I tried a larger root partition.

Thanks
-Mike

Return to “Installation & Boot”