Boot-repair is not going to completion, gives error message

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
RonC

Boot-repair is not going to completion, gives error message

Post by RonC »

Boot-repair's documentation says it will work with LinuxMint, because it is a Ubuntu-derivative. Please feel free to move this, if there is a place dedicated to this utility.

Problem: I have my MBR set-up to go first to the Windows 7 boot manager and from there to LinuxMint 12 (with Cinnamon). I have been able to boot it correctly, repeatedly.

For unknown reasons, selecting LinuxMint 12 from the menu is now giving me a black screen, from which I have to recover with a hardware reset. In the past this was fixed by running EasyBCD from MS Windows, to reset grub's address. However, this time -- no result, after several repair attempts, with EasyBCD.

Attempted solution: I installed boot-repair from its PPA and selected the default repair. However, this utility aborted prior to completion, with an error message, as follows:

Code: Select all

Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 grub-pc : Depends: grub-gfxpayload-lists but it is not installable
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
As directed when the utility fails, I've generated a report that may be found at this location:
http://paste2.org/p/2822778

Boot-repair's documentation advises the user not to touch the utility's 'Advanced Settings', without interpretation of the bootinfo summary. Can anyone tell me where I should go from here?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
RonC

Re: Boot-repair is not going to completion, gives error mess

Post by RonC »

I initially noted Boot-Repair's author has a thread for his utility is a different operating system's forum, so I thought I should post here, since I'm running LinuxMint.

After my post here was complete, I looked at the author's thread more carefully, and now saw it's actually in a 'Variants' subform, so then, I thought it's OK to post there -- since technically Mint is a Ubuntu variant (if I'm correct).

I don't want to double-post, as that's not courteous, but on the other hand this information may be valuable to other Mint users -- who may not think to search in the Ubuntu forum. As well, I saw no Boot-Repair specific thread in the Mint forums.

The thread specifically for Boot-Repair is here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p= ... tcount=792

I'd rather not delete my posts here, since I don't know if my question is general or specific to LinuxMini -- at this moment. If someone has Mint-specific information on my problem, please feel free to reply. On the other hand, if I should continue only with the Ubuntu 'Variants' subforum, then please feel free to delete the thread, here.

Return to “Installation & Boot”