Installation eats up Volume

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Installation eats up Volume

Postby sacrell on Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:46 pm

Hello there,

I'm fairly new to this, and I have experienced something rather.. unsettling with Linux Mint 14. Well, what happened?

I have 4 HDDs in my computer which runs Windows 7 x64 as main OS:

Disk 1/sda: 2TB - System drive, ~50% full
Disk 2/sdb: 1TB - Empty
Disk 3/sdc: 1TB - Encrypted on device level (Truecrypt)
Disk 4/sdd: 1TB - Filled with data, 90% full. Slow 5400rpm drive.

When I tried installing Linux Mint 14, I downloaded the ISO and put it on my USB thumb drive with Universal USB Installer. I then booted from it and went with the first option, which is to install Linux besides Windows 7 and automatically create a dual boot. I noticed it didn't say right away where exactly Linux was going to be installed, but I figured I would be told soon enough, so I clicked the Install button. Well, I wasn't asked anything minor like that. Instead, the setup went straight ahead and simply started making itself comfortable on disk 4, repartitioning and deleting the data stored on it. I tried stopping the installation when I noticed the setup said something about formatting sdd w/o having asked me anything at all. (There isn't even a button to cancel the installation, just forward/backward. However, right-clicking the taskbar did it.) The installation was stopped, but even the little progress it made rendered the data on it unreadable. I might be able to recover most of it with testdisk or something, but that is not the point.

Rather, my point is: Why the rainbows does Linux Mint 14 choose a disk at random (even a data-filled one at that!) and, without asking, just starts overwriting stuff?
Of course, I realize I might have unknowingly done something really stupid to make the setup do crazy stuff, but I find this hard to take. Could you please shine some light on whether or not this is intended behaviour and/or how to prevent the setup from committing such cruel acts?

Also, if there happens to be a standard procedure to recover data lost this way, I'd kinda appreciate to know.
sacrell
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Installation & Boot