I ran “apt-get dist upgrade” and now can't log in

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
GonzoV159

I ran “apt-get dist upgrade” and now can't log in

Post by GonzoV159 »

I ran sudo apt-get dist upgrade. Apparently everything went well except that when it was done, in the terminal said there was an error. I didn't mind about it and shut system down. When I turn computer on again, everything was "ok" and then the screen sessions was in front of me... I selected my session, gave my password, pressed enter and it took me back to the sessions list. With every session happens the same: I can't log in. I noticed the mouse was not working. I connected one in another usb port and worked but nothing was clickable. There were some changes in the environment: different font, different bar color on top...

I don't know what to do. I tried to use a previous version (the one shown in the start) and happens the same. I really need to get this fix. Don't remember what was the error shown in terminal.

it's linux mint maya 12. I'm new using linux. Didn't know exactly what I was doing when I ran that in terminal.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
GonzoV159

Re: I ran “apt-get dist upgrade” and now can't log in

Post by GonzoV159 »

And also I'm new at the forum... so, excuse me if I'm not posting this in the right place.
dagon
Level 7
Level 7

Post by dagon »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

You posted in the right place. I removed the duplicate.
Unfortunately I can't answer your question.

Some notes on upgrade/dist-upgrade:
http://askubuntu.com/questions/81585/wh ... an-upgrade
jungle_boy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by jungle_boy »

GonzoV159 wrote:I ran sudo apt-get dist upgrade. Apparently everything went well except that when it was done, in the terminal said there was an error. I didn't mind about it and shut system down. When I turn computer on again, everything was "ok" and then the screen sessions was in front of me... I selected my session, gave my password, pressed enter and it took me back to the sessions list. With every session happens the same: I can't log in. I noticed the mouse was not working. I connected one in another usb port and worked but nothing was clickable. There were some changes in the environment: different font, different bar color on top...

I don't know what to do. I tried to use a previous version (the one shown in the start) and happens the same. I really need to get this fix. Don't remember what was the error shown in terminal.

it's linux mint maya 12. I'm new using linux. Didn't know exactly what I was doing when I ran that in terminal.
Reinstall LInux Mint and don't run sudo apt-get dist upgrade.
Samsung Odyssey, Octa-core, i5 9300H, Geforce GTX 1650, 16GB RAM, SSD SAMSUNG NVMe 500GB
LM 21 Cinnamon
GonzoV159

Post by GonzoV159 »

I fixed it!

I selected the "root Drop to root shell prompt" in the recovery mode. I tried to uninstall the kernel that was messing up writing the following:

sudo apt-get purge linux-image-x.x.x* (the x were specific numbers of the version that was messing up)

A message appeared and said I need it to run a command. I ran it (don't remember which one, was something about "configure". After a few minutes the thing that was doing, was done. I run exit command to exit recovery mode and then selected "resume normal boot" option. I was able to login to my desktop but everything looked different. I opened the terminal and ran "sudo apt-get update" & "sudo apt-get upgrade" after a few hours of downloading and installing packages, the computer went back to normal, except the desktop configuration. Running Cinnamon now, don't know which one was there before crashing.

Return to “Installation & Boot”