HELP ME REGARDING PAE KERNEL

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ANiK3T

HELP ME REGARDING PAE KERNEL

Post by ANiK3T »

Hi all
i have a samsung laptop with win xp on it (6GB RAM & 64bit arcitect)
i wish to install linux mint 14 32bit on it but i have some doubts regarding this PAE kernel so my questions

Q1. Can i install 32 bit LiNUX Mint 14 32bit on my 64bit & 6GB Ram laptop WITHOUT ANY PAE TROUBLE?

Q2. what if i install it to a 32bit pc with more than 4GB RAM?

Q3. How do i know if PAE is enebled and HOW DO I ENABLE IT?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Re: HELP ME REGARDING PAE KERNEL

Post by kc1di »

ANiK3T wrote:Hi all
i wish to install linux mint 14 32bit on it but i have some doubts regarding this PAE kernel so my questions

Q1. Can i install 32 bit LiNUX Mint 14 32bit on my 64bit & 6GB Ram laptop WITHOUT ANY PAE TROUBLE?

Is there some reason you do not want to use the 64 bit install?

In anyevent if you install the PAE kernel and your machine is PAE capable it will boot up in PAE mode. and then you can access the extra Ram.

and yes if you install a PAE kernel on a 32 bit system it will use more than 4 gigs of ram.

I believe the following terminal command will tell you if PAE is running, can't check it now because only have 64 bit systems here.

Code: Select all

zcat /proc/config.gz | grep -i PAE
also you can type the following command and see which kernel is loaded:

uname -r
Good Luck
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
ANiK3T

Post by ANiK3T »

kc1di wrote:
ANiK3T wrote:Hi all

Is there some reason you do not want to use the 64 bit install?

In anyevent if you install the PAE kernel and your machine is PAE capable it will boot up in PAE mode. and then you can access the extra Ram.

and yes if you install a PAE kernel on a 32 bit system it will use more than 4 gigs of ram.

I believe the following terminal command will tell you if PAE is running, can't check it now because only have 64 bit systems here.

zcat /proc/config.gz | grep -i PAE
also you can type the following command and see which kernel is loaded:

uname -r
Good Luck

buddy i dont have an internet connection and ive got a 32bit copy of linux mint14 after facing lots of hardships so ive just this 32bit

can i install 32bit os on 64 bit machine?
And how do i enable PAE if its not enabled on my 64bit samsung lappy?
How do i know if pae is supported on it through win xp?
raymerjacque
Level 4
Level 4

Post by raymerjacque »

Linuxmint 14 is PAE enabled by default. Which means you can install 32bit mint and it will show all your ram, even if its more than 4GB. I run Mint 32bit ( i have tested on both Mate and Cinnamon and it works for both ).

Easy way to check is to open system monitor after installation ( start menu->System tools->system monitor ) and then click on the system tab and see how much ram it shows. On 6GB system it should show something like 5.8GB or 5.9GB ram ( it varies from system to system, but should show above 5GB ).

If it shows 2.9GB or something MUCH lower than you have in system then you know PAE is not enabled.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

ANiK3T wrote:can i install 32bit os on 64 bit machine?
Without any problem.
ANiK3T wrote:How do i know if pae is supported on it through win xp?
All 64-bit computers support it.

About your 2nd question, raymerjacque already answered that. On 14 you can use all your RAM, on 13 and before you can get "linux-pae" from the repository.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.

Return to “Installation & Boot”