Boot from an external hard drive

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Boot from an external hard drive

Postby MorrisMonkey on Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:23 am

Apologies if this has been solved elsewhere.

I have been playing with Linux for a few years but I am now trying to switch to using Linux as my main operating system.

Last week I put Linux Mint 14 with Cinnamon as a clean installation onto a new 500gb hard drive on my laptop. Everything is going well except for problems in getting the wireless to connect, if I reset the router it connects .

I have 2 hard disks for the laptop, one with Linux Mint 14 and the other the old one with Windows XP, and I can swap the hard drives if I need to, but..

I bought a hard disk caddy, so the idea was, the Linux hard drive would be inside the laptop, and I could use Linux for 90% of the time and then boot into the Windows XP through a boot off a usb connection if I need Windows.

Well it did not work, Windows started, and then crashed.

Let us swap everything around:
Windows XP on the hard drive in the laptop and the Linux hard drive in the usb caddy, well of course Linux being so good it worked and I am sending this message from the laptop running off the usb hard drive with no problems, I can see the internal windows hard drive , everything is good, but I don't want it this way round.

Does anyone know if it is likely that I could get it working so that Linux is the main operating system iinside the laptop and than I occasionally boot Windows off the the external usb.

I guess I could do dual booting, but I do not want to contaminate my Linux setup with Windows.
MorrisMonkey
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Boot from an external hard drive

Postby usbtux on Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:54 am

windows cannot be run from a usb drive (I have tried to do it my self) - poor design my microsoft
http://goo.gl/DXKgM LinuxMint tutorials.
Running LinuxMint 17 Cinnamon/KDE/XFCE
http://goo.gl/WFu0u Installing Mint - the screen cast videos.
linuxcounter #368850
usbtux
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Boot from an external hard drive

Postby MorrisMonkey on Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:23 am

Thanks for the information it saves me wasting time trying.
MorrisMonkey
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Installation & Boot