Intallation of Bianca crash

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

Intallation of Bianca crash

Postby Justo_yo on Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:19 am

Hi, I have a toshiba satellite p105 S6024 with a 1440 x 900 screen. Just after I start to install Bianca in my computer, the process stops with a message: "failed to start xserver (your graphical interface)it is likely that it is not set up correctly".

So, after using the command "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg" I am able to reconfigure the monitor but because the system is not installed yet there is nothing but a mouse pointer in a grey screen if I say startx. When I tipe CTRL+ALT+BKSP I come back to the shell command line.

So, from the shell screen, what command should I issue to start the installation of the program, now that xorg seems not to be an issue?. I cannot reboot because if I do so I will have the same previous problem.
Justo_yo
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby Husse on Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:43 am

Don't know if this will help but I found a solution to a similar problem, and that was to use the vesa driver until I could get the right driver with envy. However you probably have Intel graphics so you'll have to install the driver some other way - through Synaptics perhaps
It seems that you can use a command line. Try this:
"nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf" (withuot the quotes and note that the X in X11 must be a major X)
Scroll down (use the arrow keys) to a section called "Device". There is only one and you should find a line describing your graphics card (Ok, it's integrated, but it's still there)
Change "Driver" from whatever is there to vesa and I beleive you should be able to complete the boot. Vesa is a very "sloppy" driver so you need to change it as soon as possible, but at least you have the desktop and will be able to work
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Return to Installation & Boot