Clean Install on Netbook - Black Screen Problem

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Clean Install on Netbook - Black Screen Problem

Postby jhehe on Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:00 pm

to start off with, i want to stress that this is not the same black screen problem faced by many other users during the installation process. i assure you my issue is unique as i have searched through this forum and several other forums all day, but could not get the appropriate solution.

background:

i am currently running linux mint cinammon 14 through the mint4win installation so i have currently dual booting windows 7 ultimate and linux mint 14 on my netbook. now, as you know windows, it is very laggy even with a memory upgrade on a netbook so i have decided to clean install linux mint on my netbook because linux mint is just super awesome. :D

my problem:

since i am using a netbook, i have no access to a disk drive and so i must use a bootable flash drive.

i followed the instructions to create a bootable flash drive using unetbootin. I selected the linux distribution i wanted (linux mint 14 - cinnamon) and proceeded to making the drive. this part was successful and i exited unetbootin. the next step was reboot my computer and select boot from my flash drive. my flash drive is a transcend jetflash 700 16gb usb3.0. when windows 7 ultimate shut down, i went into bios and changed boot order, which is the "F12" key for me, I selected my flash drive and proceeded to boot.

this is where the actual problem begins. linux mint setup and installation window would not load. instead, i am faced with a black screen with a flashing underscore that looks like this:

note, this picture shows exactly what happens right after i select to boot from the usb flash drive.

other information:

i have been over at the pinguyos forum and found that this is possibly a graphics issue associated with nvidea graphics chips. however, i do not have a nvidea graphics chip as i am using a netbook. here are my netbook specifications:

Acer Aspire One AOD257-13448
Intel Atom N455 CPUU @ 1.66GHz w/ 512KB cache
2GB DDR3 Memory @ 1333MHz
250GB HDD with 3 Cell Lithium Battery

Here are some other information:

So anyone have any ideas on how to fix this and continue with a clean install?

Wish to get rid of Win 7 Ulti real bad.

Thanks
jhehe
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Installation & Boot