2nd Attempt to dual boot - Cannot access Windows partition

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
zacho56

2nd Attempt to dual boot - Cannot access Windows partition

Post by zacho56 »

Hey guys. I have recently fell in love with Linux and have been wanting to dual boot it with my windows for some time. I tried 2 nights ago and this same thing happened but I managed to repair it and get my windows back. So I tried again last night and now im at the same place. On lovecd I chose to set up side by side, and installed accordingly. Now when I boot it says that my Windows partition is HFS and cannot load into it or even on Linux desktop cant access it.

Please, if there is anything at all you can do to help me I would greatly appreciate it as my whole lifes work is on that partition and I just want them to be together in harmony :)

Thanks guys, and if there is anything you need from me please let me know,

Zacho56
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jungle_boy
Level 7
Level 7

Re: 2nd Attempt to dual boot - Cannot access Windows partiti

Post by jungle_boy »

First of all, repair windows MBR using windows DVD. Before install LM you need to defragment windows.

2- Using a LM LiveDVD, run GParted and shrink the windows partition, search in youtube how to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uv1aXOvjK2E

Apply and reboot.

3- Windows will claim that need check files, OK, let it. Reboot.

4- Run windows and check if all are fine.

5- Run Linux MInt LiveDVD and proceed to install it.

6- Reboot.
Samsung Odyssey, Octa-core, i5 9300H, Geforce GTX 1650, 16GB RAM, SSD SAMSUNG NVMe 500GB
LM 21 Cinnamon
anandrkris

Re: 2nd Attempt to dual boot - Cannot access Windows partiti

Post by anandrkris »

I followed thistutorial and was helpful in installing Linux Mint 13 on my laptop.

It is for Linux Mint 11 but i believe the installation process must be almost the same.

Return to “Installation & Boot”