From Ubuntu to Mint

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Waffeleisen

From Ubuntu to Mint

Post by Waffeleisen »

Hey,

currently I'm using Windows 8 and Ubuntu 12.10 (Dualboot)
Because I have some issues with Ubuntu, I want to switch to Mint and try it.
I installed Ubuntu on a 40GB ext4 partition. How can I safely remove Ubuntu and install Mint on this partition?
Is there something I have to consider? For example the Bootloader. Don't know what to do here :-(

It would be really nice, if someone could help me!

Greets
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: From Ubuntu to Mint

Post by xenopeek »

That depends; Windows 8 is setting of alarm bells of course. Did this come preloaded on your computer (meaning you have an UEFI system, with secure boot) or did you install this yourself? UEFI with secure boot will make things more difficult.
Waffeleisen

Post by Waffeleisen »

Nope. I have an Asus Zenbook UX31E. It was shipped with Windows 7 64x. But I can enable UEFI in my Bios.
By the way, there were no problems installing Ubuntu 12.10.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Okay, *phew*. Then you can do one of three things;

1. Start the installer of Linux Mint 14, and at the "Installation Type" step it might offer you to replace Ubuntu 12.10 if it properly detects it.

2. If it doesn't offer to do this in the "Installation Type" step of the installer, you would at that step select the last option--do go to the manual partitioning step. Here you would indicate the Ubuntu root partition to be used as mount point / for Linux Mint, file system ext4, and for it to be formatted. And you would indicate the Ubuntu swap partition to be used for Linux Mint as swap.

3. If the above sounds too complex, the alternative is to let the Linux Mint installer handle everything. First, press alt+f2 and in the run dialog type the following command:

Code: Select all

sudo swapoff -a
That disables the Linux Mint installer from using the Ubuntu swap partition. Then open GParted from the menu, and delete the Ubuntu root and swap partitions. Apply all changes. Then start the installer, and at the "Installation Type" step of the installer choose to install alongside Windows. The installer will then use the free disk space to do that.
Waffeleisen

Post by Waffeleisen »

Thank you very much. I'm creating the USB-Installer at this moment.
Okay, step 1-2 does the same as step 3, right?
So I will try steps 1-2 first. Hope it works.
There will be no problems with Grub, the bootloader? I'm a bit frightened that I can't boot Windows anymore if something goes wrong.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Something went wrong here, I didn't intend to submit my post yet :shock: I pushed the wrong button I think :wink:

Yes, I'm also concerned about the boot loader. Windows 7, sure that would work fine and no worries. I don't have any experience with Windows 8, so I'm not confident about this working. Do you currently have GRUB as your boot manager, to choose between Ubuntu and Windows?

If you are using some Windows program to let you choose at boot which operating system to load, then you would pick option 2 from above and make sure you set the location for the boot loader not to /dev/sda but to the root partition of Linux Mint.

If you do have GRUB as your boot manager, please from the Linux Mint installation ISO first open a terminal and share the output of the following command. I'd prefer somebody with Windows 8 and EFI experience to answer whether indeed your current partitions with Ubuntu look like they will work fine with Linux Mint installer and GRUB. Perhaps I'm being over cautious, but I don't know what shenanigans Windows 8 will pull...

Code: Select all

sudo parted -l
Waffeleisen

Post by Waffeleisen »

Yes, I have GRUB as boot manager.

My Output from Linux Mint when I type "sudo parted -1":

parted: invalid option -- '1'
Usage: parted ...some advices how to use parted command

Should I try to install now?^^
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Not -1, -l (letter l) :wink:
Waffeleisen

Post by Waffeleisen »

Mint asks me if I want to delete Ubuntu 12.10 and reinstall Mint. Should I try this? It's like you stated in your step 1
Is there a way to copy out from terminal? Because the command which you stated prints very much information.

EDIT: Now it's possible to be online with two computers, weird.

EDIT2: I made a picture of sudo parted -l
http://s1.directupload.net/file/d/3177/kksxmnbe_jpg.htm

EDIT3: I will just try to replace Ubuntu now... Thanks for your patience. I will write here if everything went successful ;-)
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Yes, you can select all text on the terminal and copy it from the terminal's Edit menu. Anyway, picture will also work but so that you know next time.

It looks like you can go ahead. You have an msdos partition table, not gpt which is needed for uefi. And also, for uefi the very first partition would need to be a special one. Your first partition is just a Windows partition. To me it sounds like you are fine to go ahead. I'd recommend you back up important personal documents from Ubuntu and Windows 8 regardless, as I'd recommend you do for any new install.
Waffeleisen

Post by Waffeleisen »

Thank you. I chose to replace Ubuntu. There is the "hourglass" rotating for some minutes now... No installation advices or similar. Hope it works, but it doesn't seem so that my notebook is working... Hmm, I think I will wait for 10 minutes to see if there is any progress :-(

EDIT: Restarted gave it a second try. Mint is installing right now...

Return to “Installation & Boot”