Virtualbox installation

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Virtualbox installation

Postby alphagammabetaray2 on Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:49 pm

I am using Mint with VirtualBox, and it is running fine. However, when I shut down, it doesn't save anything I have done in that session. So, all the packages that I installed or files I downloaded are gone by the next session. I also use an Ubuntu virtual, and it doesn't have problems like that. I really like mint, so I want to use it and not Ubuntu. Also, I am using an xfce desktop (to make the virtual lighter)

Thanks.
alphagammabetaray2
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Virtualbox installation

Postby lmarmisa on Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:00 pm

alphagammabetaray2 wrote:I am using Mint with VirtualBox, and it is running fine. However, when I shut down, it doesn't save anything I have done in that session. So, all the packages that I installed or files I downloaded are gone by the next session. I also use an Ubuntu virtual, and it doesn't have problems like that. I really like mint, so I want to use it and not Ubuntu. Also, I am using an xfce desktop (to make the virtual lighter)

Thanks.

Perhaps you are running Linux Mint Live. Have you installed Linux Mint in your virtual machine?. Have you removed the virtual Linux Mint Live CD from the CD/DVD drive of the virtual machine?.
lmarmisa
Level 2
Level 2

Postby alphagammabetaray2 on Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:02 pm

I remember installing it, and on the desktop, there is not an option to install/try the OS. Is there a way to confirm that?
alphagammabetaray2
Level 1
Level 1

Postby lmarmisa on Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:17 pm

Go to the Storage menu of VirtualBox and check if CD/DVD drive is empty:

CD.png
CD.png (39.46 KiB) Viewed 196 times

A second possibility would be that the virtual disk of your virtual machine would be defined as a "inmutable image":

http://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch05.h ... magewrites
lmarmisa
Level 2
Level 2

Postby alphagammabetaray2 on Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:29 pm

The CD was mounted, like in the picture. Should have realized it. I think it got mounted when I installed guest additions. Thanks.
alphagammabetaray2
Level 1
Level 1

Postby lmarmisa on Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:38 pm

The CD/DVD drive is empty in the figure. The device named MINT14KDE.vdi is a virtual hard disk.

Check if the iso file mounted in your CD/DVD drive is Linux Mint Live or GuestAdditions. If it is GuestAdditions, the problem is not solved.
lmarmisa
Level 2
Level 2

Return to Installation & Boot