LM13 LiveCD / LM 14 DVD boot fail - white screen - NVIDIA

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

LM13 LiveCD / LM 14 DVD boot fail - white screen - NVIDIA

Postby sanguinewolf on Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:50 am

I've recently built a new box running Win 7 and wanted to add Linux Mint. I've got an NVIDIA graphics card and based on what I'm reading it's preventing me from even booting from the Live CD. I've tried with both a LiveCD with LM13 that I got last summer from an issue of Linux Magazine and from a DVD image of LM14 that I burned last night. Both disks are fine because one of my laptops will boot just fine with either disk.

I have tried the recent solution given here: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=122257, but it doesn't work for me because I can't get to Grub.

A description of what I'm seeing when I attempt to boot is listed below. My results vary from attempt to attempt and I've tried booting approximately 20 times:

1) After the startup menu ("Start Linux Mint", "Start in Compatibility Mode", etc.) my screen usually turns white/gray and I can see a blinking cursor in the upper right. Nothing further happens.

2) After the startup menu my screen first turns white/gray, but then goes to a black screen with a white rectangle filling up the upper left quadrant of my screen. Nothing further happens.

3) After the startup my screen briefly turns white/gray and then turns black with a small Linux Mint logo in the center with 5 small circles below it that are apparently a progress meter. I've only gotten this screen a couple of times and both times my DVD drive whirs quite a bit before finally stopping and the progress meter also stops. Nothing further happens.

I tried two boot attempts with a Ubuntu 12.10 disk from Linux Magazine, but I more or less get the same results as trying to boot Mint.

Here are my system specs:
Intel i7-3770K
Asus Sabertooth Z77 mobo
(1) 256G SSD OCZ Agility 4 for root drive
(2) Seagate 3TB hard drives
NVIDIA GeForce GTX560
Intel 82579V Gigabit network adaptor

I'm not sure that anything else I have matters besides the above.

One of the two main reasons for building this new box was to run Mint which was recommended to me last summer. So, if I need to buy a new graphics card I would do so if I knew it was going to solve my problem, I just don't know which one to get.
sanguinewolf
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Installation & Boot