Having a difficult time with using a USB distribution

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
GameCodingNinja

Having a difficult time with using a USB distribution

Post by GameCodingNinja »

I tried Linux Mint 14.1 first with making a live DVD (cinnamon 64-bit). It worked well and booted up fast. I then tried making a USB flash disk with "Universal-USB-Installer-1.9.2.6". All when well. Booting from flash drive with 4 gig persistent file takes a long time. Even when it seems like it's finally finished booting up, I still can't click on anything for a while. Once I can finally run stuff like FireFox, it seems like it's lag spiking for a few seconds. Shutting down takes a long time too.

I tried re-downloading the ISO's from a different site. Tried the different desktop flavors in 32 and 64 bit. Running from the USB seems to be a real problem. I was just recently playing with a Knoppix 7.0.5 usb distro without any problems. Very fast from USB flash.

I tried making a USB flash disk with a much smaller persistent file (about 500 megs). It was a little bit better behaved. Is Linux Mint trying to initialize the persistent file in the background?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Having a difficult time with using a USB distribution

Post by xenopeek »

The Linux Mint ISO is for trying out Linux Mint, installing Linux Mint, and for rescuing your system in case of problems. You can use various programs to create a persistent ISO, but this is not supported by Linux Mint. The supported way of putting the Linux Mint ISO on a USB is this: http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/744

If you want to use Linux Mint from a USB, why do you not just install it? So have the Linux Mint ISO on a DVD or on a USB, boot from it, and then install from there to another USB. That way you will have a fully functioning installation. Just make sure you install the bootloader not to your hard disk (/dev/sda) but to your USB. Some users are worried about making a mistake, so disconnect their hard disk before doing the installation so they can be sure to make no mistakes.
usbtux

Post by usbtux »

further to the above : http://youtu.be/gVCfeFOxGLQ External install (external hdd or to a flash drive 8G min nowadays)
GameCodingNinja

Thanks, I'll give that a try. I'm using a 16 gig USB stick.
ludude75

Post by ludude75 »

Don't ask me where I seen it but I put mint on a usb drive and read someone recommended formating the usb drive NTFS. Of course i thought confused but it works! I put it on a 4 gig drive no problems.

It had something to do with putting large files on a usb and how fat32 does not support them. I suspose that goes for any type drive and fat32.
GameCodingNinja

That worked a ton better using the "USB Image Writer" located under the accessories menu. It's rather hidden away. Would make sence to have it on the desktop by default.

All I can say is this Linux Mint is one sweet ride. I'm trying all the different desktop flavors and Mate seems to be my favorite. Have yet to try Xfce.

Thanks for your help guys!

Return to “Installation & Boot”