kernel upgrade doesn't work for Cinnamon???

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

kernel upgrade doesn't work for Cinnamon???

Postby nomko on Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:55 am

Hi,

Last week i tried to upgrade my kernel according to this how-to: http://www.upubuntu.com/2013/02/install ... el-38.html.
This screwed up my complete system. After the reboot Cinnamon looked like the LXDE desktop. I tried to fix the graphic driver, nothing. It ended up in re-installing Mint by means of a new/fresh/clean installation.

So, my question is: Is Mint not capable enough doing a kernel upgrade as shown in the given link above?
MSI GE70-2PE*Quad core Intel Core i7-4710HQ*Kingston 16 GB RAM*Intel 4th Gen. Integr. GPU/NVidia GeForce GTX860M*Qualcomm Atheros Killer E2200/Intel Wireless 3160*Sitecom X5-N600 Router (WLR-5100)
Linux tips and tricks
nomko
Level 9
Level 9

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: kernel upgrade doesn't work for Cinnamon???

Postby eanfrid on Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:10 am

It is not a Mint problem but probably proprietary graphics drivers that are not ready to use this new kernel. This is why I always stick to O/S GPU drivers. Otherwise, when you switch to a newer kernel (3.5 to 3.8 for instance), some apps like Virtuabox in addition to graphics drivers may not be yet compatible. Skipping to a new Linux kernel is more like jumping from Windows XP to Windows Seven than like updating you current Firefox :)

cf: http://kernelnewbies.org/Linux_3.8 ... there are many changes and improvements since 3.5 !
Main desktop: Debian GNU/Linux Wheezy 64bit - MATE 1.8.1
(i5 2400@3.7GHz - 16GB DDR3 - HD6770 w/radeon driver - SSD+RAID1)
Safer than Dropbox
eanfrid
Level 7
Level 7

Return to Installation & Boot