Transfer Mint 14 DVD to a USB

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Meteor
Level 3
Level 3

Transfer Mint 14 DVD to a USB

Post by Meteor »

This has me stymied! I have been trying to transfer the Mint 14 Cinnamon files from the DVD files in my Home folder -"Download"-- onto a USB. I can't do it as I need to be "Root" to do so. That's understandable but how do I get to become root? I'm sure it's something very easy but I've been trying to figure out the magic word/phrase/location/method to become Root from the Home folder where the DVD download sits. I've been unsuccessful...

What am I missing? If I need to be in the "Terminal" to do so, what is the phraseology required in order to make it work? I don't think this has to be done from the terminal but I'm totally at a loss as to how I can complete what I felt should be a simple proceedure.

Assistance will be appreciated.

Meteor
Canada, eh!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kbkatz1

Re: Transfer Mint 14 DVD to a USB

Post by kbkatz1 »

Open a Terminal and type "su" to become root, enter your password, then you will be in as root. You can then change directory and navigate to your Downloads directory. As an alternate option you may want to type "nautilus" and navigate via a GUI.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk 2
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Transfer Mint 14 DVD to a USB

Post by karlchen »

Hello, Meteor.

I am not quite sure that I understand completely what you are trying to achieve.
The Mint 14 Cinnamon ISO image file named linuxmint-14.1-cinnamon-dvd-32bit.iso has been stored in the Downloads folder inside your home folder, i.e. in /home/Meteor/Downloads.
Is this right?

What is you intention now?
  1. You want to copy the file linuxmint-14.1-cinnamon-dvd-32bit.iso to a USB pendrive?
    Doing so should not require any root privileges provided you have got read access on the file and provided you have got read/write access to the USB pendrive. - Again this should normally be the case if you attached the pendrive to the computer.
  2. You want to extract the content of inside the linuxmint-14.1-cinnamon-dvd-32bit.iso file to the USB pendrive. I.e. you want to extract all the files inside the ISO image including the folder structure to the USB pendrive?
    Again this should not require any root privileges provided you have got read access on the file and provided you have got read/write access to the USB pendrive.
  3. Note that neither action #1, nor action #2 will produce a bootable USB pendrive which can be used anywhere in order to install Linux Mint 14 from the USB pendrive.
  4. Provided you want to create a bootable USB pendrive and transfer the content of the ISO image file linuxmint-14.1-cinnamon-dvd-32bit.iso on to the bootable USB pendrive so that it can be used to boot and install Mint from it, in this case, please, use UNetBootin. It is available from the Ubuntu software repositories. You can e.g. use Synaptic Package Manager to download and install it or the Software Centre.
General remark on "becoming root":
Provided you have been granted the privilege of launching commands as root - if you are the one who installed the system, then you should have this privilege - you execute a command as root by prefixing sudo to the command or by prefixing gksu to the command if it is a GUI application. You will be prompted to enter your own user password. Provided you do so the command will be launched with root privileges.
(Cf Running Sudo Graphically)

Kind regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 762 days now.
Lifeline

Return to “Installation & Boot”