Unable to install Linux Mint 5 Beta 32 on VMWare Workstation

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Unable to install Linux Mint 5 Beta 32 on VMWare Workstation

Postby Mordillo_98 on Thu May 22, 2008 2:43 pm

Hi there,

I am unable to do a live boot and install Linux Mint 5 Beta 32 on VmWare Workstation 6. The same problem occurs using Virtual Box 1.6.

It boots, see the splash screen, then on the Live desktop, I see this error message below (included as an attachment as well).

"There was an error starting the GNOME Settings Deamon. Some things, such as themes, sounds, or background settings may not work correctly. The last error message was: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply. The message bus security policy blocked the reply. the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken. GNOME will still try to restart the Settings Deamon next time you log in."

I hit the Close button. Then, I open the Install icon from the desktop. I go through the Wizard, and on right after Step 5 (the actuall install), it freezes up.

Any suggestions?

Mordillo_98
Attachments
LinuxMint 5 Beta 32 Error Msg.jpg
LinuxMint 5 Beta 32 Error Msg.jpg (14.14 KiB) Viewed 494 times
Mordillo_98
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Unable to install Linux Mint 5 Beta 32 on VMWare Workstation

Postby Acid_1 on Thu May 22, 2008 3:39 pm

Switch your workstation to something else? Haven't tried VirtualMachine for a year, so I don't know how it'd work, but you could give it a shot.
Acid_1
Level 5
Level 5

Postby AK Dave on Thu May 22, 2008 4:09 pm

VMware not virtualizing a video adapter for the installer?
Maybe a VMware settings issue, or maybe you need to install in CLI mode.

Does the Daryna LiveCD work? If so, then maybe just try a CLI install of Elyssa.
AK Dave
Level 6
Level 6

Postby Mordillo_98 on Fri May 23, 2008 10:42 am

Thanks for all the suggestions. I was able to resolve my problem by just logging off.
It logged in backed again automatically without any error messages. I then installed it no problem.

Another issue I had was that it won't go to the desktop screen if Sound was enabled on the virtual machine. I configured it to my USB sound adapter (I have 2 sounds setup on my machine. One from my motherboard, another USB for my headset) and it's now ok.

Again, tks all for your help.
Mordillo_98
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Installation & Boot