The Liquorix kernel on Linux Mint 14

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
cdysthe

The Liquorix kernel on Linux Mint 14

Post by cdysthe »

Hi,

I have run the Liquorix kernel on my LMDE machines with great success. Has anyone tried this kernel on Linux Mint 14, and if so was the install without problems? Adding the repo was not a problem, but I would like to know if it's trivial to remove it again before I try to install it myself.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: The Liquorix kernel on Linux Mint 14

Post by catweazel »

http://forums.linuxmint.com/search.php

A search tuns up a lot of LMDE installs using it, and some others. However, that said, I have no doubt it will completely clobber certain software. VirtualBox will die. AMD proprietary video drivers will surely croak it. No doubt nVidia proprietary drivers are also likely to go belly up. Plus others.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
cdysthe

Post by cdysthe »

Thanks. As long as I can go back to the previous kernel I would be willing to try, but if it breaks my system permanently I would not.

Sent from my XT557 using Tapatalk 2
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

cdysthe wrote:Thanks. As long as I can go back to the previous kernel I would be willing to try, but if it breaks my system permanently I would not.
If you follow these instructions: https://tuxstack.wordpress.com/2013/01/ ... 86_64-bit/ then you can roll back the kernel from synaptic.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
cdysthe

Post by cdysthe »

Thanks for the link! I now have the Liquorix kernel running without any problems. In fact, two problems I had with the stock Mint kernel are resolved which was the reason I wanted to try it in the first place. One was that my laptop got very hot and the other was that the screen wouldn't turn off like I'm used to. The screen was blanked, but not off. Also, the computer seems faster, especially after it has been running for a while. The boot splash got messed up but I installed and ran Super Boot Manager and got my pretty boot back by adjusting the settings for Plymouth. I would assume that other updates may come along for Mint 14 that could potentially break the current compatibility on my computer. Since I'm not using any proprietary drivers the whole process was relatively painless.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

I'm glad it worked out for you. Unfortunately I need to have proprietary drivers running, and VirtualBox so I can't use it.
cdysthe

Post by cdysthe »

Hi,

I just installed the Liquorix kernel on another Mint 14 machine with nvidia graphics. I downloaded the graphics driver from nvidia, killed X and installed it with their installer. Works great. I also installed VirtualBox 4.2.8 on this machine and the one with nvidia graphics and it works fine also. Thank you for pointing out that it could cause problems.

Return to “Installation & Boot”