The way it should have been done from the beginning

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

The way it should have been done from the beginning

Postby llogg on Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:15 pm

I installed Mint in a partition alongside a pre-existing Vista install. Because of Windows limitations I was left with 70% of my HDD space allocated to Windows. I now want to destroy the windows partition, expand Mint to the whole HD, and install Vista as a Virtual Box machine. Anybody know how to do that without simply reformatting the HD and installing Mint? I don't feel like going through all the configuration and installation of things I need for work if I can avoid it. Thanks in advance.
Intel Pentium Dual 2.00 GHz
2Gb RAM
Linux Mint Cinnamon 14
llogg
Level 3
Level 3
 
Posts: 112
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:56 pm

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.
 

Re: The way it should have been done from the beginning

Postby mockturtl on Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:47 pm

llogg wrote:I installed Mint in a partition alongside a pre-existing Vista install. Because of Windows limitations I was left with 70% of my HDD space allocated to Windows. I now want to destroy the windows partition, expand Mint to the whole HD, and install Vista as a Virtual Box machine. Anybody know how to do that without simply reformatting the HD and installing Mint? I don't feel like going through all the configuration and installation of things I need for work if I can avoid it. Thanks in advance.
Sure -- you just need to run gparted partition manager in a live session. Delete the windows partition, move your Mint partition to the left, and "grow" it to fill the empty space.

I use unetbootin to install PartedMagic to a bootable USB drive. It has a nice gparted tutorial, too.
Last edited by mockturtl on Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image
User avatar
mockturtl
Level 4
Level 4
 
Posts: 442
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: The way it should have been done from the beginning

Postby catweazel on Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:40 am

mockturtl wrote:you just need to run gparted partition manager in a live session. Delete the windows partition, move your Mint partition to the left, and "grow" it to fill the empty space.

When you tell inexperienced users something like that you have an implicit responsibility to advise them of the dangers to their treasured data. Next time, please make sure you also advise posters that they do at least one backup and put it out of harm's way.
Mint Testing Team & Mint Donor #3606
KDE 4.12.0, custom preemptive kernel 3.12.5,
Intel i7 4770K @ 4.7GHz, 16GB 2666MHz XMP,
4 Samsung 840 PRO 512GB SSDs in RAID0,
6TB HW RAID10, dual 24" Acer X243H,
Gigabyte nVidia GTX 680 Super Overclock
User avatar
catweazel
Level 7
Level 7
 
Posts: 1656
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:44 pm

Re: The way it should have been done from the beginning

Postby llogg on Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:27 am

Any problem if Mint was installed on an extended partition?

BTW, all data backed up to an external HD and cloud.
Intel Pentium Dual 2.00 GHz
2Gb RAM
Linux Mint Cinnamon 14
llogg
Level 3
Level 3
 
Posts: 112
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:56 pm

Re: The way it should have been done from the beginning

Postby Orbmiser on Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:29 am

llogg wrote:Any problem if Mint was installed on an extended partition?

BTW, all data backed up to an external HD and cloud.


Nope as have a Win7,Winxp & E: data primaries. My linux is on extended / , /home & swap all are extended.

Yep always backup that can't afford to lose data.
.
User avatar
Orbmiser
Level 7
Level 7
 
Posts: 1514
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:16 pm
Location: Portland,Oregon


Return to Installation & Boot

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests