Putting boot on ssd and everything else on hdd?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Putting boot on ssd and everything else on hdd?

Postby wemaxey on Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:08 pm

Just wondering if this is possible and/or easy? My idea is to buy a cheap , small ssd just to use for boots since i know they are much, much faster. Then i planned on storing all of my actual files (basically, the Home folder) on a 500gb hd. The tricky part is that i dont really want to do a fresh install since i have Mint 14 installed and have an extensive library of files already. This is all on a custom build and i know all of the RAM is there and stuff, so SWAP is not a major concern. Any help is appreciated, you guys are awesome on here!
wemaxey
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Putting boot on ssd and everything else on hdd?

Postby Orbmiser on Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:26 pm

Have mine setup already so when I can afford an ssd then set to go.

For me have a 10gb / and 15gb /home partitions. With all my images,music,movies,etc on a ntfs external usb drive.
That way don't have to worry about losing personal data on a corrupted linux partition and can use smaller partitions.
Also making mirror backups of / and /home takes a lot less room.

As the optimal ssd performance is not only for / root. But also for /home and installed programs. This way even a 40gb SSD or larger can be used. With all my personal files accessible by any OS as dual boot with Win7 also. Or need to access files on another system so choose ntfs for universal access of files.

Putting all your personal files in with /home kind of forces you to have larger capacity partition. And eats up more space and takes more time doing backups.

Just a thought and may not be how you want to approach for your personal way of doing it.
Orbmiser
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Putting boot on ssd and everything else on hdd?

Postby catweazel on Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:35 am

wemaxey wrote:The tricky part is that i dont really want to do a fresh install

Easy fixed. You should put your home folder, apps and OS on the SSD then use a link to your documents, videos, music etc on a the hdd. You can do this without reinstalling. There are several ways, and one way is to use rsync to copy your existing OS to the SSD, then install grub. You could even just clone your current HDD after clearing out your treasured rubbish to make space, of course. All you would need to do then is tell tune2fs to set a new UUID on the SSD.
Mint Testing Team & Mint Donor #3606
KDE 4.12.0, custom preemptive kernel 3.12.5,
Intel i7 4770K @ 4.7GHz, 16GB 2666MHz XMP,
4 Samsung 840 PRO 512GB SSDs in RAID0,
6TB HW RAID10, dual 24" Acer X243H,
Gigabyte nVidia GTX 680 Super Overclock
catweazel
Level 7
Level 7

Return to Installation & Boot