Dual Boot W7 / LM-13 terrible slow

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Kaiserdrache

Dual Boot W7 / LM-13 terrible slow

Post by Kaiserdrache »

Hi guys,

I do sincerly hope that someone might be able to help me here as it seems that I'm running out of luck. Last weekend I installed a 128GB SSD (M4 Crucial) into my pc and I wanted to take advantage of it's speed for reduced bootup time. On the same event I bought a copy of Windows 7 to replace my outdated XP. So far the preliminaries. I used a LM 13 Live CD to partionate the SSD and reserved ~50GB NTFS for Windows 7, leaving the rest for Linux. Next, I shut the computer down and booted from the W7 Installation Disc. Installation worked fine and W7 boots up in less than 10 seconds. So far all was great.

Next I installed LM13 on the SSD and once again everything seemed to work fine (except for the fact that once again retrieval of language updates was a horror...). I retrieved the CD and rebooted. That took about 45 seconds, a little bit long for my taste, but as it was the first boot after installation I gave it another try. And look - the next startup took me 9,5 seconds. Great! Just to prove that this was not a random event, I tried it again. Once again - 9,5 seconds. So far so good and now comes the problem.

Next I looked again for windows 7, just to make sure that still everything was fine. And it was. Bootup took ~10 seconds.

*crunch*

And from that time on Linux Mint took about 45 seconds for each bootup. No matter what I do, it stays at 45 seconds. Updating grub was useless as was everything else I tried.

Any ideas?

Thank you!
KD

PS: Just in case anybody notices - yes I already posted on the german forums, but maybe I'm a little bit luckier here ;)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Dual Boot W7 / LM-13 terrible slow

Post by catweazel »

Kaiserdrache wrote:PS: Just in case anybody notices - yes I already posted on the german forums, but maybe I'm a little bit luckier here ;)
You'll get shot for that. You're either wasting people's time in this forum or you're wasting the time of those people in the German language forum. The people who help you do it out of their own time. It is a very inconsiderate thing to do.

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=83314

[8] Do Not Cross-Post
Do not create identical topics across multiple forum sections. Cross-posting creates unnecessary work for community users by separating potential answers and solutions - do not do it.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Kaiserdrache

Re: Dual Boot W7 / LM-13 terrible slow

Post by Kaiserdrache »

Okay, shoot me.

Regardless, the german board has obviously ran out of ideas after three days otherwise I wouldn't have tried this way. In fact I'm even looking for a solution on a german windows board, just in case something is wrong on that end. If nobody has a solution - no problem, but on an international board with more people it's much more likely to find someone who can help.

Thanks anyway.

Return to “Installation & Boot”