Dual boot windows Vista - Linux mint 14

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rros

Dual boot windows Vista - Linux mint 14

Post by rros »

Hello all. I am new to Linux and am dying to test it in my computer. I presently run windows Vista (business, I thin? or pro?) -for good or for bad- and am afraid I may mess it up if I try a complete install of Linux. After some research I found out it is possible to boot -and test- linux mint 14 via a usb flash drive.

I was wondering if someone could walk me through on the necessary steps. I tried to copy what I saw in a youtube video for windows 7 / mint install to no avail.

My main objective is to keep Vista and have a "temporary" install to test Linux Mint for a while and see how much of a learning curve is needed. My main fear is not being able to get back to the old Vista if something goes wrong or not being able to find a way to do so. Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Dual boot windows Vista - Linux mint 14

Post by karlchen »

Hello, rros.

You may test Linux Mint 14 without causing any danger to your current Vista system by
  • either creating a bootable DVD with Linux Mint 14 on it and using this Linux Mint 14 live system.
    Burn the downloaded Linux Mint .ISO file to the DVD as a disk image, not as a data file.
  • or by creating a bootable USB pendrive with Linux Mint 14 on it and using this Linux Mint 14 live system.
    Use Unetbootin in order to create such a bootable USB pendrive.
    This only makes sense provided your machine can boot from USB pendrives. (3 of my machines here can do so, 1 cannot e.g.)
    If you are unsure you may consult the machine's manual or simply try risking to waste time.
Using the Linux Mint live system does not change your Vista, unless you deliberately do so by messing around on the Windows harddisk.

Creating a bootable Linux Mint 14 live system will be the first step in any case, no matter whether you decide
+ to use the live system for testing purposes only
+ to use the live system in order to perform a normal Mint installation side by side with Vista
+ to use the live system in order to perform a normal Mint installation replacing Vista

Kind regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 750 days now.
Lifeline
rros

Re: Dual boot windows Vista - Linux mint 14

Post by rros »

Karl, I wish everyone could be as helpful as you have been. And fast! Thank you so much. I have already did 2/3 of what you suggested -and by the way, came across the portableapps website to configure the ubs flash drive. Incredible!- Tonight, I will try to boot from the usb drive and see how it works. This makes me want to try the Linux thing even more. Thanks again.

Return to “Installation & Boot”