Installation with two existing RAID arrays

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kernelpanic

Installation with two existing RAID arrays

Post by kernelpanic »

I want to install Linux Mint KDE on my Desktop, while keeping the RAID setup I have untouched.
I use linux on other computers - my skill level is medium, but I've never used RAID on it before.
I currently have two SSDs on RAID 0, and three HDDs on RAID 5. The first one currently has Windows 7, and the second one has all my personal files.
If possible, dual booting Windows and Linux on the first array would be great, but if not it doesn't matter.

Relevant specs:
64-bit AMD CPU
16 GiB RAM
MSI 990FXA-GD65 Motherboard (AMD 990FX + SB950 chipset)
2x 60 GB OCZ SATA II SSD
3x 2TB WD SATA II HDD

Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Installation with two existing RAID arrays

Post by catweazel »

I don't know if it will work or not but you can try to assemble the arrays using mdadm. You can do this from the LiveCD.

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install mdadm
sudo mdadm --assemble --scan
If mdadm returns two /md devices, one for each RAID set then it worked.

You won't be able to install linux directly to a RAID set. You'll have to install it preferably to a separate drive, or to a partition, then rsync the install to a partition on the RAID set. You will also have to configure GrUB to get it to boot.

In addition, because your RAID0 set already exists, you will find that you can't install anything to it without backing up, making separate partitions for linux and Windwoes, then restoring Windwoes from the backup into the now smaller Windwoes partition.

This is a link to a tutorial I put together for RAID0 from scratch. You may find it useful.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
kernelpanic

Re: Installation with two existing RAID arrays

Post by kernelpanic »

Thanks - I tried mdadm before but not --assemble. Maybe this will work.

Return to “Installation & Boot”