Boot from external harddrive

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Boot from external harddrive

Postby Helmeci on Tue May 27, 2008 4:41 pm

is it possible to install and boot from an external harddrive? i currently running 100% Daryna but i just bought a new external harddrive and i would like to install a few of the distros i wanna test onto it and boot off it periodically just to play around. so is it possible? if so how do i do it?
Helmeci
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Boot from external harddrive

Postby mrtim13x on Tue May 27, 2008 7:44 pm

i'm not sure, but i think that it should be possible, if it were me then i would put in the lice CD and start the installation, with the external HDD connected, and see if that shows up in the partition editor, then choose to install the OS on that HDD. when all is done and over with you will most likely have to go into the computer BIOS and enable "boot from usb" if it is already not enabled, then you can change to boot order to automatically boot from there. or every time find a way to choose the HDD. when the BIOS is loading, there should be an option to show a boot list, it will be F_ something (ex mine is F12) i think this should work, but never done it so cant say for sure.
"time is momentary" - ME

Dell E510, 4 GB DDR2 PC5300 RAM, 1147 GB HDD , Intel Celeron D 2.8 GHz CPU, ATI HD 2600XT 512 MB. LM 4.0, and Win XP Media Center Edition 2005
mrtim13x
Level 1
Level 1

Postby maarth on Wed May 28, 2008 5:11 am

but must you install grub on the usbdrive or on the drive of the computer.
maarth

Postby 900i on Wed May 28, 2008 7:57 am

Yes you can, just be sure to put the bootloader on the internal drive or the computer wont boot from the internal drive without the external one connected.
Intel i7 3770 LMDE Mate 64
900i
Level 6
Level 6

Postby yamawho on Wed May 28, 2008 8:38 am

Another way is to put GRUB on the usb drive and set it as the first hdd in the bios.
So if you remove it and boot, the system will just go back to the way it was booting from the internal.
If you some reason you need to boot to the internal and leave the usb connected, just use the boot menu by pressing F10 on most mobos, and select the hdd you want to boot from. If you use the boot menu, you don't really need to set the usb as the 1st hdd in the bios. I use this method to boot into Mandriva on my EeePC.

As usual, many ways to do something :mrgreen:
ImageImage
yamawho
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Helmeci on Wed May 28, 2008 10:45 am

ok i got the distro's i want and i got my hardrive set up for the install. but before i do it how do i go about installing the GRUB onto my internal harddrive while putting the distro's on my external? thnks

-Dean-
Helmeci
Level 3
Level 3

Postby yamawho on Wed May 28, 2008 1:47 pm

Many installers give you the option to install grub where you want.
You sometimes need to go into advanced mode during the install to have access.
ImageImage
yamawho
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Installation & Boot