Grub Error 23

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

Grub Error 23

Postby kintarotpc on Wed May 28, 2008 8:33 am

I tried installing linux mint on my dorm computer last night and everything was going well up to the very end of the installer, which was supposed to install grub. A fine place if any for it to break. The installer crashed with a "fatal" error, but didn't tell me what the error was, so I opened a terminal and typed in
Code: Select all
sudo grub-install sda1

I had assumed sda1 to be my first partition, as it was seen in gparted, but instead of any progress I got this instead :
Format of install device not recognized

Seemed a bit odd, so I followed some advice from a friend and entered the grub prompt. It went something like this:
grub --no-floppy
grub> root
(fd0) filesystem type unknown, partition 0x0
grub> root (sda1)
error 23: error while parsing number
grub> rootnoverify (sda1)
error 23: error while parsing number
grub> root (hd0)
error 21: selected disk does not exist

The last one I tried just for the hell of it, expecting it to fail just as it did.

I checked my /dev/ directory and found that I do indeed have device files for sda sda1 and sda2 (sda1 contains an intall of windows xp, and sda2 is the mint install)

I've also tried absolute paths in grub but found the same output eg.
grub> root (/dev/sda1)

Could use some help. I'm not sure what to try next.
kintarotpc
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Grub Error 23

Postby 67GTA on Wed May 28, 2008 10:21 am

Try to make grub locate them. Open a terminal and run these commands one at a time:

sudo grub

find /boot/grub/stage1

Post the output back here.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Postby kintarotpc on Wed May 28, 2008 3:56 pm

the message returned was :
sudo grub
grub>find /boot/grub/stage1
error 15: file not found

(can't remember if it was 13 or 15, but the general idea was that the file(s) were not found)

Just to be sure, I ran

sudo fdisk -l

which showed me that I had two partitions, sda1 and sda2
cat /etc/fstab

returned the same information. So I know very well that mint is aware of the partitions, it just seems that grub is not.
kintarotpc
Level 1
Level 1

Postby 67GTA on Wed May 28, 2008 4:06 pm

Try these commands from a terminal:

sudo grub

root (hd0,1)

setup (hd0)

If this doesn't get grub straightened out, I would suggest a reinstall. Did you check the md5 sum of the ISO image? What speed did you burn the image at? Sometimes crazy things happen.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Postby kintarotpc on Wed May 28, 2008 4:49 pm

thanks, I'll try this. I did check the md5 when I burned it, and it was fine. I'm starting to suspect that my cd-rom drive is crapping out one me, which is very unfortunate. (the drive I burned the disc on is not the one I'm reading from)
kintarotpc
Level 1
Level 1

Postby kintarotpc on Thu May 29, 2008 11:38 am

I tried what was posted here to no avail. For the time being though, I at least have another operating system to boot into. I'm going to try searching elsewhere for some more in depth information regarding grub and such. Thanks anyways.
kintarotpc
Level 1
Level 1

Postby 67GTA on Thu May 29, 2008 12:24 pm

If the installer crashed, it is not grub. You need to try and reinstall. If the boot sector got screwed up by the crash, you will never get it fixed. It only takes a few minutes. It may be hardware related. If you can reproduce the crash, then start investigating from that aspect.
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Postby kintarotpc on Fri May 30, 2008 9:04 am

I did some fiddling around and eventually re-installed using a different FileSystem (I used ext3 first, this time ext2). This time I was successful. I could break down and troubleshoot why it worked this time but for the moment everything is working fine and I'm happy. Thank you for the help 67GTA.
If nothing else, I learned a whole bunch about grub from all this.
kintarotpc
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Husse on Fri May 30, 2008 5:27 pm

I don't really like Ubiquty - the installer - right now. I have reported a bug with grub on a system with a complicated partition structure and now this
And one must really ask why - oh why does all these anomalies exist (in win as in Linux) - hd0 instead of sda.....
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Installation & Boot