Data Partitons

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Data Partitons

Postby micpet on Wed May 28, 2008 9:06 pm

Hi all,

I am wanting to redo my partitions to create a data backup area. My question is: should my /home be included within the extended partition? or left out? I was thinking about a clean install and just wanted to preserve the config files and my music and docs from /home. So how would I partition the drive?

Like so:

swap
/
extended
/home
/data

or:

swap
/
/home
extended
/data

Or maybe some other way. I have gone thru much of what has been posted on the forums, but I figure it always helps to ask for clarification, and in case I have missed something.

Thanks in advance.
Sony Vaio VGN-FS980. Pentium M processor. 100% Intel. 80GB HD. 1GB RAM. MS free since 10/07!!
micpet
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Data Partitons

Postby AK Dave on Wed May 28, 2008 11:54 pm

My preference is "A". I find extended partitions to be more flexible down the road, when you want to slice off a little /data for another install partition. Because I typically have 2-3 different OS versions on my computer, I keep /home as part of each seperate installed OS and just keep data as its own partition.
AK Dave
Level 6
Level 6

Postby 67GTA on Thu May 29, 2008 3:00 am

micpet
Sorry to hijack the thread, but where did you get your avatar? That looks so dang familiar, but I just can't place it. Looks like something from when I was a kid.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Postby micpet on Thu May 29, 2008 1:23 pm

The avatar is a depiction of the green man. A mythological character the is associated with old Celtic folklore and the medieval period. Our European cousins will have more info about it than I can give. i found the image looking through Google images. i was wanting something to go with Mint's colors. Thanks for asking.
micpet
Level 1
Level 1

Postby 67GTA on Thu May 29, 2008 1:45 pm

That's cool. My family came from Scotland. We are part of the Muir clan. We represent our clan every year at the Scottish highland games. That picture must have something to do with the Irish.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Postby micpet on Thu May 29, 2008 3:46 pm

@67GTA : no problems, glad to help.

Another question: should I format a data partition for music files to ext2 or ext3?

And, finally, it has been suggested elsewhere that a data partition for video files be formatted to xfs. Is this right, and, if so, what is the difference between ext2 and 3 and xfs. Respond in layman's English please. :D

Thanks.
Sony Vaio VGN-FS980. Pentium M processor. 100% Intel. 80GB HD. 1GB RAM. MS free since 10/07!!
micpet
Level 1
Level 1

Postby 67GTA on Thu May 29, 2008 3:57 pm

I have always found Ext3 to be the most stable for storing stuff. It is pretty robust. I have never used xfs, so I'm not sure what the differences are. From what I have read, xfs is a tad faster with larger files/hard drives.
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Installation & Boot