[Solved] How to correctly install Linux Mint

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Viking64

[Solved] How to correctly install Linux Mint

Post by Viking64 »

A user describes here how to install Mint. http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=11872
The first is the well know method of using a separate /home partition. All the user's data is in /home so putting /home on a separate partition effectively isolates it from the rest of the install, the part that most often breaks. This eases upgrades too, although it isn't a perfect solution.

swap -----Formatted as swap ----per above rules
/ -----------Formatted as ext3 -----10 – 12 Gig.
/home ---Formatted as ext3 ------Whatever you need

The other method uses dedicated data partitions that aren't part of the Linux install at all. This is the safest, fastest and most flexible method, and makes for almost painless reinstalls and upgrades, but is a little more difficult to set up initially.

swap ----Formatted as swap -----per above rules
/ ----------Formatted as ext3 ------10 – 12 Gig.

Data Partition1 ----Formatted as ext3 -----sized for data
Data Partition2 ----Formatted as ext3 -----sized for data
Data Partition3 ----Formatted as ext3 -----sized for data
Is this this the best way to partition your hard drive?

What is the difference between the /home partition and the three data partitions?
Are they the same thing as the home except the data is split out into three different partitions?

Could someone please tell me best way to partition a hard drive and how to do it?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: How to correctly install Linux Mint

Post by xenopeek »

With respect to Fred's post, but that is a post from 2008 and you should not follow that. Ext3 has been superseded by ext4 for one. My recent post here details the steps for manual partitioning, creating a root, home and swap partition. If you want, read the posts further down from Enna and myself. As requested by Enna, I detail there also how to set up a separate data partition and why you would want that.
Orbmiser

Re: How to correctly install Linux Mint

Post by Orbmiser »

xenopeek wrote:With respect to Fred's post, but that is a post from 2008 and you should not follow that. Ext3 has been superseded by ext4 for one. My recent post here details the steps for manual partitioning, creating a root, home and swap partition. If you want, read the posts further down from Enna and myself. As requested by Enna, I detail there also how to set up a separate data partition and why you would want that.
Yep follow xenopeek he has all the right updated fresh info.

The reason for separate data for me is cross-platform and OS compatibility. As dual boot with Win7.
Also all my personal data Images,Music,Movies,Games,etc.. are on Ntfs usb externals. So a need arises that I need to take the usb somewhere on another system I know there will be no issues with them being Ntfs which linux handles well anyways. And access for any OS I may be using at the moment.

My separate /home I'm starting to rethink if I really need? As I use Redo backup and backup my partitions regularly anyways.
And whether I really need a swap partition with 4gb. But easier to backup one partition with integrated /home than two partitions.

Again those partitions get backed up to again the external usb where I can have them separate and use on another system if the need arises. Or have fresh backed up linux partitions to restore or roll-back if somehow linux gets borked beyond my ability to fix.

And taking the time to learn and backup my partitions has more than paid for itself on more than one occasion.
Viking64

Re: [Solved] How to correctly install Linux Mint

Post by Viking64 »

Thanks, :D :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Viking64

Return to “Installation & Boot”