Installing Mint 14 Nadia

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

Installing Mint 14 Nadia

Postby newyorkpaulie on Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:14 pm

I tried to install 14 onto a drive already containing Windows and clicking on install produced "nothing". I've been able to do this in the past, creating a dual boot system. Do I need to first prepare the drive in some way?
newyorkpaulie
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Installing Mint 14 Nadia

Postby karlchen on Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:29 pm

Hello, newyorkpaulie.

The action which you should take first is providing us a few more relevant details, else trying to give any helpful answer will be a guessing game.
  • Which Windows versions exactly is on the machine? Win 7? Win 8?
  • How did you try to install Mint 14?
    (a) You booted a Mint 14 live medium (DVD, usb pendrive) and clicked on the "Install Linux Mint" button on the live desktop.
    (b) You launched a little programme named mint4win which offered to install Mint 14 onto the Windows drive C:.
  • Can you elaborate a bit more what "clicking on install produced nothing" means.
Feel free to add more details which may be relevant.

Do I need to first prepare the drive in some way?
Well, clearly this depends ...
  • The answer is "no", in case you want to perform a Mint4win installation.
  • The answer is "no", in case you want to install Mint 14 side by side with Windows and in case there is an unused, sufficiently large disk partition which Mint can use.
  • The answer is "yes", in case you want to install Mint 14 side by side with Windows, but Windows has occupied the complete disk. In this case it will be necessary to shrink the size of an NTFS partition and free up enough unused disk space which Mint can use. Shrinking Windows partitions is done best by using Windows dskmgmt.msc.
Again the exact answer depends on details which we do not know, yet.

Kind regards,
Karl
karlchen
Level 11
Level 11

Return to Installation & Boot