FSCK is still scanning deleted partitions

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

FSCK is still scanning deleted partitions

Postby frozenking on Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:48 am

Actually, I used to dual boot with win7 and mint14 but thought of using only linux mint 14 .

I have two drive both are 80gb sata drives. While installing linux mint 14 mate, I manually partitioned two drives with names /dev/sda and /dev/sdb.
1) /dev/sda : 30gb for root remaining for ext4 and 3gb for swap and for
2) /dev/sdb : 80gb full ext4

But, after installation I was not able to open both this drives expect 30gb linux system since it was popping "error that it is not mounted".
So, I installed "gparted" and deleted the partition and again formatted 43gb /dev/sda and 80gb /dev/sdb with ext4 filesystem giving labels linuxmint and AIO.
Now, I was able to access it but I thought of doing delete and formatting again using "disks" utility since it was showing bad sectors. This time I gave different label names i.e. linux and mydrive,

The problem is that the bad sectors hasn't gone after doing smart extended function from disk utiliity and whenever I start my sytem there is an fsck(filesystem check) starting but not processing anything I waited for more than 30minutes but still nothing so I stopped the check and it displays that /linuxmint and /AIO drive is not mounted. Actually, this are my previous partitions name and not the new ones.

How to stop this check from starting and how to remove those bad sectors.

Thank you.
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
second /dev/sdb1 80gb drive
disk1.jpg
Linuxmint installed drive /dev/sda1 with swap and 46gb
frozenking
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: FSCK is still scanning deleted partitions

Postby xenopeek on Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:36 am

To help with this I need some info to help me understand it. Can you open the terminal application, and run the following three commands? Type one line of text as shown below, press enter to execute the command. Then type the next line, press enter, and so on. The last command may ask for your password, provide that and note that you do not get any feedback as you type the password. You can copy text to/from the terminal, see its Edit menu. Please run all these commands and then copy the total output here.
Code: Select all
cat /etc/fstab
mount
sudo blkid
xenopeek
Level 21
Level 21

Postby frozenking on Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:12 am

Hey I just removed the idea of only linux in my system. It is better to use linux and windows as dual boot. Thanks for your help. :)
frozenking
Level 1
Level 1

Postby frozenking on Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:59 am

This is serious problem in Linux that mounting points are not updated accurately which leads to fsck and mounting problem errors at startup.
I found this solution hope it helps others :

Code: Select all
1.Open your terminal by ctrl+alt+t or Applications –> Accessories –> Terminal

2.use the below command in terminal,

gksudo gedit /etc/fstab

3.A file will open,find /boot line.It will look something like this ,

/dev/sda2 /boot ext4 defaults 0 0

4.Now open another terminal and use the below command ,

ls -l /dev/disk/by-uuid

5.Now find the UUID for /dev/sda2 and replace the below line in fstab ,

/dev/sda2 /boot ext4 defaults 0 0

as

UUID=a647ea33-74ee-4123-84bf-7edc32e2e39b /boot ext4 defaults 0 0

[Replace the UUID number with your number]

6.save the file and restart the system.It will work fine.The same solution can be addressed for /dev/sda mounting problem.
frozenking
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Installation & Boot