GRUB Options in Mint

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

GRUB Options in Mint

Postby Juan Largo on Fri May 30, 2008 12:23 pm

Hello,

I've been experimenting with the Mint Live DVD with KDE4.0 and I must say I'm VERY impressed so far. I'm aiming at installing Mint on one of my HDDs, but I have a somewhat unorthodox setup and I need some additional information before I get started. The reason for asking these questions is because I have a SATA main HDD and an IDE backup HDD. This combination creates a conflict between BIOS and GRUB, and the only way I have succeeded with installing Linux in the past is by chain loading GRUB from the Windows NTLDR boot loader. In other words, I do not want to install GRUB on the MBR.

1) When I install Mint, will I have the option of installing / and /home on different partitions?
2) Will the installer give me the option of installing GRUB on the / partition instead of installing it on the MBR? I would like to chain load Mint from the Windows NTLDR.
3) After installation, is there a utility on the Live DVD that re-installs GRUB on the / partition in case GRUB becomes corrupted? If there is no such utility, could someone please post the steps necessary to install GRUB on / from the command line?

I apologize if this question has been answered already. I'm brand new to this forum and I don't know my way around yet.

TIA
Juan Largo
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: GRUB Options in Mint

Postby ed@Mint on Fri May 30, 2008 12:37 pm

Hi Juan Largo,

First and foremost, welcome to Linux Mint :) You made a good choice.
One little thing, the Linux Mint Daryna KDE CE includes KDE3.5.8, not KDE4.0

Now for your questions:
  1. Of course, just choose 'manual partitioning' at the partitioning step.
  2. Yes, click on 'advanced' when arriving at the final screen ('ready to install') before the proper installation of the system.
  3. There is no such utility yet. You could perform a simple search on google to find out how to reinstall grub. I can't tell out how right now, i'll perform a search as well in order to help you.

Wish you the best.
Ed
In libro veritas

Now switched to : ArchLinux

New users, read the Linux Mint User Guide | Problem ? See the Wiki first | Check out the Software Portal | Join the IRC channel : #linuxmint @ irc.spotchat.org
ed@Mint
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Juan Largo on Fri May 30, 2008 12:50 pm

ed@Mint -
One little thing, the Linux Mint Daryna KDE CE includes KDE3.5.8, not KDE4.0

My mistake ... I had labeled the DVD wrong. It was MINT 4.0 not KDE 4.0. :lol: The desktop seemed so different that the one I'm used to, I just assumed it had to be KDE4. Very nice look, incidentally.

Anyways, thanks for the input. I'm pretty confident that the installation will go alright. I just have to get used to that "sudo" thing! :lol:

BTW, would the following code work for installing GRUB on sda5?

Code: Select all
sudo grub
root(hd0,4)
setup(hd0,4)
quit

If the above is the right code, would that also re-install the file /boot/grub/menu.lst?

One final question that's unrelated to the above. Does Compiz-Fusion work on the Live DVD? I can't seem to enable it.
Juan Largo
Level 1
Level 1

Postby ed@Mint on Fri May 30, 2008 1:14 pm

Well, as i said, the ubiquity installer let's you choose not to install grub in the MBR.

However, if you want to install it manually, you have 2 solutions :
  • You can use the
    grub-install hda1
    Replacing 'hda1' with your '/' or '/boot' partition.
  • or, as you said, you can use the grub console, in this case, i think it is safer to go for a more detailled set of instructions :
    sudo grub
    root (hd0,4)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22-14-generic root=/dev/sda5 ro splash
    initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.22-14-generic
    setup (hd0,4)
    quit

Concerning Compiz, i don't think it will work on the live-cd, but you can enable it once the system is installed.
In libro veritas

New users, read the Linux Mint User Guide | Problem ? See the Wiki first | Check out the Software Portal | Join the IRC channel : #linuxmint @ irc.spotchat.org
ed@Mint
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Juan Largo on Fri May 30, 2008 1:33 pm

ed@Mint

Thanks again. I understand that ubiquity gives me the options I want. I would only install GRUB manually in the unlikely event that GRUB had to be re-installed.
Juan Largo
Level 1
Level 1

Postby ed@Mint on Fri May 30, 2008 2:15 pm

Oh and by the way, when using the Grub console, use the <tab> key at each step for auto-completion so that you don't make mistakes in typing the instructions.
It also allows you to see the different possibilities you are offered for, for example, the partition where to install it.
In libro veritas

ed@Mint
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Husse on Fri May 30, 2008 4:26 pm

sudo grub
root(hd0,4)
setup(hd0,4)
quit

This is quit sufficient
As for repairing grub see the wiki
http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php ... _your_grub
It seems ed@mint did not know about it but I do - I wrote it :)
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby ed@Mint on Fri May 30, 2008 5:39 pm

Husse wrote:It seems ed@mint did not know about it but I do - I wrote it :)

Well... For once that i don't check the wiki i'm caught.. :wink:
You deserve the credit Husse, thanx for your intervention.
In libro veritas

ed@Mint
Level 5
Level 5

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Installation & Boot