bios and desktop clock 6hrs off and boot blank/black screen

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sweetwater

bios and desktop clock 6hrs off and boot blank/black screen

Post by sweetwater »

I've been using “GUI Linux” for a good while and pretty much incapable of doing command line unless it is copy and paste with someone hold my hand kind of help. And consequently would appreciate as much GUI help by menu as possible. Sorry.... I have a condition called dementia which keeps me from doing much on my own very fast and I appreciate any help I may get. Here's an example of how bad I am... Just made spaghetti and had it half eaten before I realized I forgot to add the meat that I cooked for that purpose. Learning and doing new stuff and remembering in general is a weee little more frustrating.
Sorry if that didn't belong here. The spagetti was very good both ways with or without meat.
T.G.F. Spell~checkers …Aye?
However I have two newly built Pcs; [parts still under warranty on both and one still returnable to retailer.] Both are AMD A series A8-3850 and A4-3400 and each are showing time in the BIOS which is six hours off from the desktop clock. IE 21:00:00 in BIOS translates to 3:00p.m. on the desktop and MST is where Mint 14 Mate is set for time zone. I've actually returned the Biostar TA75M twice for RMA because of this and sometimes Boot ended in a black/blank screen sometimes with desktop loaded sounds and others not. The times it made the desktop loaded sound during a black/blank screen I could type User Name and Password and desktop was fully loaded by sound but could not see it for the black/blank screen.
First return also had SATA port problems as well as input device problems. The Gigabyte had some of the black/blank screen issues too but may have stopped after I disabled EFI in BIOS. Definitely haven't seen it yet since the EFI change. I found one post on net that said that the time variance issue was normal and another that said that I didn't have some programs installed that would straighten out this six hour variance issue. Ain't been able to make heads or tails of it yet tho. Past use of Ubuntu 10 an 11 didn't seem to have the problem or was oblivious to it. Anyway I tried getting into Software/Package manager and finding those programs which I am suppose to be lacking but got confused as to which to choose as many of them look alike. My Mint install is up to date with repository updates. Can't think of much more but will oblige if you need more info...
Hope this is enough and answers forthcoming: Forgive the scrabled explanation please?
Biostar TA75M
Gigabyte A55M-DS2
A8-3850
A4-3400
8GB Mushkin Radioactive 1333
8GB Kingston HyperX 1333
ASUS CD/DVD RW combo
Liteon CD/DVD RW combo
Seagate Barracuda 1Tb SATAII
Seagate Barracuda 1Tb sata III
Antec Basiq 430w continuous PSU
Antec Basiq 430w continuous PSU

Same kb, mouse, and monitor used while running separately one at a time.

And same with Printer and scanner. These are nice little PCs once the kinks are worked out.

Well summary: I need help getting desktop clock to reflect hardware clock time if it is actually needed to be that way. Also would like to know if EFI disabling was correct way to stop black/blank screen at/near boot end or what other possibilities could be causing it?
Tomorrow I get the Biostar board back and will see if disabling EFI in that nios fixes the boot black/blank screen.
Of all the things I've lost I think I miss my mind the most??? Thanxnadvance %:))SW

I've been using “GUI Linux” for a good while and pretty much incapable of doing command line unless it is copy and paste with someone hold my hand kind of help. And consequently would appreciate as much GUI help by menu as possible. Sorry.... I have a condition called dementia which keeps me from doing much on my own very fast and I appreciate any help I may get. Here's an example of how bad I am... Just made spaghetti and had it half eaten before I realized I forgot to add the meat that I cooked for that purpose. Learning and doing new stuff and remembering in general is a weee little more frustrating.
Sorry if that didn't belong here. The spagetti was very good both ways with or without meat.
T.G.F. Spell~checkers …Aye?
However I have two newly built Pcs; [parts still under warranty on both and one still returnable to retailer.] Both are AMD A series A8-3850 and A4-3400 and each are showing time in the BIOS which is six hours off from the desktop clock. IE 21:00:00 in BIOS translates to 3:00p.m. on the desktop and MST is where Mint 14 Mate is set for time zone. I've actually returned the Biostar TA75M twice for RMA because of this and sometimes Boot ended in a black/blank screen sometimes with desktop loaded sounds and others not. The times it made the desktop loaded sound during a black/blank screen I could type User Name and Password and desktop was fully loaded by sound but could not see it for the black/blank screen.
First return also had SATA port problems as well as input device problems. The Gigabyte had some of the black/blank screen issues too but may have stopped after I disabled EFI in BIOS. Definitely haven't seen it yet since the EFI change. I found one post on net that said that the time variance issue was normal and another that said that I didn't have some programs installed that would straighten out this six hour variance issue. Ain't been able to make heads or tails of it yet tho. Past use of Ubuntu 10 an 11 didn't seem to have the problem or was oblivious to it. Anyway I tried getting into Software/Package manager and finding those programs which I am suppose to be lacking but got confused as to which to choose as many of them look alike. My Mint install is up to date with repository updates. Can't think of much more but will oblige if you need more info...
Hope this is enough and answers forthcoming: Forgive the scrabled explanation please?
Biostar TA75M / A8-3850-------------------------------Gigabyte A55M-DS2 / A4-3400
8GB Mushkin Radioactive 1333------------------------8GB Kingston HyperX 1333
ASUS CD/DVD RW combo -----------------------------Liteon CD/DVD RW combo
Seagate Barracuda 1Tb SATAII-----------------------Seagate Barracuda 1Tb sata III
Antec Basiq 430w continuous PSU--------------------Antec Basiq 430w continuous PSU
Same kb, mouse, and monitor used while running separately one at a time.
And same with Printer and scanner. These are nice little PCs once the kinks are worked out.
Well summary: I need help getting desktop clock to reflect hardware clock time if it is actually needed to be that way. Also would like to know if EFI disabling was correct way to stop black/blank screen at/near boot end or what other possibilities could be causing it?
Apparently disabling EFI does not stop the black/blank screen at end of boot as I shut down and restarted an hour later and was greeted with more black/blank scrrens at end of boot.
Tomorrow I get the Biostar board back and will see if disabling EFI in that fixes the boot black/blank screen. Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelllllllllllllllllllpppppppppppppp!
Of all the things I've lost I think I miss my mind the most??? Thanxnadvance %:))SW
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
sweetwater

Re: bios and desktop clock 6hrs off and boot blank/black scr

Post by sweetwater »

It's me again; couldn't figger out how to edit the post so I relpied to state what I found on the matters....
I got the time difference nailed: there's this setting in the menus that deals with time and the default time on motherboards using Linux is UTC or six hours earlier than my local time. This would put it in the Antilles of the Atlantic time zone. If I were dual booting then it is said that having local time set in bios is advantageous... Also If I remember right M$ uses local time for BIOS and Desktop. That part I think is solved!!!
As far as the booting to black/blank screen happenings I'm still amiss for understanding and correcting this. To recap concisely,:, about 1/4th to 1/3rd of cold boots have a black/blank screen all the way through after showing loading OS and booting to CD/DVD text.
this means that motherboard posts with single bios beep [normal] then later makes the desktop login screen chime. Screen is still black/blank. If I input username and password in the black/blank screen and <enter> at this point I see some flickering horizontal white lines alternated with black bars as it make the desktop logged in music, YET NO Visible desktop appears. one or more reboots after this ends up with a visible desktop and if I'm rebooting from a functioning visible desktop the black/blank screen boot seems to happen less frequently than from cold boot..
sweetwater

Re: bios and desktop clock 6hrs off and boot blank/black scr

Post by sweetwater »

Well solved the boot to blank/black screen issue myself by installing FGLRX.

Return to “Installation & Boot”