Why Do I Have Double Mints At Boot?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Why Do I Have Double Mints At Boot?

Postby jordan on Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:25 pm

I am asked to select from two Mints: a generic as the default and under "other operating systems" there is a Mint on sda1.

When I boot the generic Mint, the screen goes black at one point during boot.
If I choose the sda1 Mint, it starts up.

Is this supposed to be this way?
jordan
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Why Do I Have Double Mints At Boot?

Postby 67GTA on Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:22 am

If you only have one Mint installed, then that is not normal. Something has gone terribly wrong. Post a copy of your /boot/grub/menu.lst, and the output of
Code: Select all
sudo fdisk -l
from a terminal so we can have a look.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Postby jordan on Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:52 pm

67GTA wrote:If you only have one Mint installed, then that is not normal. Something has gone terribly wrong. Post a copy of your /boot/grub/menu.lst, and the output of
Code: Select all
sudo fdisk -l
from a terminal so we can have a look.

I began a Mandriva install that erased all partions, then shutting down the install after it formatted the partition. I did only get Mint to install on the third try after doing that. Hopefully this information is still useful you requested:

255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 2432 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x0007dd08

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 * 1 2325 18675531 83 Linux
/dev/sda2 2326 2432 859477+ 5 Extended
/dev/sda5 2326 2432 859446 82 Linux swap / Solaris
c@vv:~$
jordan
Level 1
Level 1

Postby 67GTA on Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:14 pm

It seems like there is more going on here than I thought. Do you have Mint installed, or Mandriva? Did Mint not install correctly? It sounds like you have too many things going on now to try to fix the first problem. If you done a clean install of Mint, or any distro, you should only have two entries for that distro in your grub menu(regular boot/recovery). Any other distro that is already installed will show up in the "Other OS" part of the menu. It sounds like you tried to install Mint more than once unsuccessfully, and it tried to add one of the previous failed installs to grub. We can try to help you figure out why Mint is not installing if you want to use it. It is best to start with new formatted partitions. If you leave a failed install on a partition, it may have gotten far enough to be recognized, but not be able to boot.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Postby jordan on Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:18 am

67GTA wrote:It seems like there is more going on here than I thought. Do you have Mint installed, or Mandriva? Did Mint not install correctly? It sounds like you have too many things going on now to try to fix the first problem. If you done a clean install of Mint, or any distro, you should only have two entries for that distro in your grub menu(regular boot/recovery). Any other distro that is already installed will show up in the "Other OS" part of the menu. It sounds like you tried to install Mint more than once unsuccessfully, and it tried to add one of the previous failed installs to grub. We can try to help you figure out why Mint is not installing if you want to use it. It is best to start with new formatted partitions. If you leave a failed install on a partition, it may have gotten far enough to be recognized, but not be able to boot.

You are right, there was actually too many things to explain that happened before this. I just started all over.
jordan
Level 1
Level 1

Postby 67GTA on Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:29 am

Did you get it going this time?
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Postby rivenought on Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:54 am

You know, sometimes it takes a completely clean re-install to fix a myriad of problems. I have done that quite a few times myself. It is all part of the learning process. Please post back and share with us if that rectified your situation.
rivenought
Level 5
Level 5

Postby jordan on Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:12 pm

rivenought wrote:You know, sometimes it takes a completely clean re-install to fix a myriad of problems. I have done that quite a few times myself. It is all part of the learning process. Please post back and share with us if that rectified your situation.

I think I unintentionally created another partition and install Mint on it, instead of reinstalling it on the partition I intended for it to go on. I started all over. I am having problems shutting down. But I started that issue in another thread.
jordan
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Installation & Boot