Can't access download sites

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Can't access download sites

Postby Eric Weir on Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:48 pm

I can't get started with LinuxMint cause I can't access the download site. Last weekend, and now again today, when I got to the sites, all I get is a blank page.

I assume no one else is having this problem. Not having problems accessing any other sites.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Eric Weir
Decatur, GA USA
Xubuntu 8.04
Eric Weir
Decatur, GA USA
Linux Mint 5
Eric Weir
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Can't access download sites

Postby rivenought on Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:53 pm

To which download sites are you referring? If you mean the main downloading site, you can find it at http://www.linuxmint.de/downloads.html . Is that the site with which you are having trouble?
rivenought
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Eric Weir on Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:31 pm

rivenought wrote:To which download sites are you referring? If you mean the main downloading site, you can find it at http://www.linuxmint.de/downloads.html . Is that the site with which you are having trouble?

Thanks. No, I can get to that site. However, it's the torrent site, and I don't know how to download a torrent. I was attempting to download from the US mirror at ftp://mirrors.secution.com/linuxmint.com/

I have torrent software, Transmission, which is standard with Xubuntu. Have no idea how to use it. Tried, but got nowhere.

Thanks again,
Eric Weir
Decatur, GA USA
Linux Mint 5
Eric Weir
Level 2
Level 2

Postby rivenought on Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:55 pm

I have Transmission. I click on the torrent file. The next box is where you choose to open with Transmission. Transmission then downloads the file. It is actually very easy once you have done it. It might be that you have some kind of firewall problem or torrent-throttling on your end. I wish you good luck with it, though.

I am unsure what is wrong with that link you sent. It is blank on my end, as well.
rivenought
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Eric Weir on Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:01 pm

rivenought wrote:I have Transmission. I click on the torrent file. The next box is where you choose to open with Transmission. Transmission then downloads the file. It is actually very easy once you have done it. It might be that you have some kind of firewall problem or torrent-throttling on your end. I wish you good luck with it, though.

Actually, it's just that I don't know how to use it. Just the little bit of information you provided helped.

Actually -- again! -- the problem is that when I click on the torrent file, Transmission doesn't come up as a option. Instead I'm presented with my directory, and the task of figuring out where the hell the Transmission binary is. Guess I'll have to go looking for it ahead of time. I would've thought it would have been defined as the default torrent client by the system, i.e., on install. Maybe in Mint?

I see you're in Georgia, too. How long have you been with Mint? Any other experiences to compare it with? I'm drawn by what I've read and seen. And by the motto -- "from freedom comes elegance."

That's one of two areas in my limited experience that Linux falls short. I haven't seen an elegant distribution, yet.

Regards.
Eric Weir
Decatur, GA USA
Linux Mint 5
Eric Weir
Level 2
Level 2

Postby rivenought on Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:35 pm

Transmission is the default option in Mint 5 for torrent downloads. Everything is all set up and good to go on my end. You may need to set up your default downloading program. I have never used Xubuntu or any of the Ubuntu distros, so not sure. Mint is the closest to Ubuntu I have been.

If you want to download the old-fashioned way, you can try downloading from another mirror instead of the previous one you tried. You can go to http://www.linuxmint.com/mirrors.php?id=15 and choose HEAnet in Europe. That is where I have had the best speeds recently. Then, you can choose to download 4.0 or 5. You want to choose the file that ends in .ISO. Mint 4 Daryna is stable and Mint 5 Elyssa is in Beta testing. That should have you pointed in the right direction. Good luck and please post back with your results.

I have used Linux Mint Cassandra and Daryna previously. My other distros have been openSUSE and Mandriva. My machines currently run Mint 5 Elyssa GNOME, openSUSE 10.3 KDE, and Mandriva 2008.1 GNOME. Linux Mint is the easiest to configure out of the bunch. I always suggest it first before anything else.

You are right in the middle of Metro, I see. I am down on the coast near the beach not far from Savannah.
rivenought
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Eric Weir on Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:49 pm

rivenought wrote:I have used Linux Mint Cassandra and Daryna previously. My other distros have been openSUSE and Mandriva. My machines currently run Mint 5 Elyssa GNOME, openSUSE 10.3 KDE, and Mandriva 2008.1 GNOME. Linux Mint is the easiest to configure out of the bunch. I always suggest it first before anything else.

First, thanks for suggesting the European mirror. I got it from there without any problem. Second, I'm going backwards, from Ubuntu, to Kubuntu, to Xubuntu, now to Mint. Lots of things I like. Just the appearance is one, and not a small one. I love the motto, "from freedom comes elegance." An admirable aspiration -- to create an elegant Linux.

You are right in the middle of Metro, I see. I am down on the coast near the beach not far from Savannah.

Yes, outside the city limits, but well within the Perimeter. In spite of that, it has a small town feel. Not quite self-contained, but with shopping on the web, pretty close.

I love Savannah. A small-scale New Orleans.

Regards,
Eric Weir
Decatur, GA USA
Linux Mint 5
Eric Weir
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Installation & Boot