Installer doesn't recognize Win8 partitions

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Installer doesn't recognize Win8 partitions

Postby papapitufo on Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:28 am

Hi,

I got a brand new machine which I want to dual boot LM and Win8. I installed Windows first, and after that through Windows disk management I created two more partitions, one unallocated for Mint and a NTFS for shared files among systems.

On Mint Live DVD I can mount Windows, files, and windows system reserved partition normally, but installer shows me full disk without any partition created. GParted shows full disk as unallocated.

Any idea on how can I solve this?

Thanks in advance.

PS. English is not my native language, so I apologize if my text is not correct. Corrections will be apreciated :)
papapitufo
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Installer doesn't recognize Win8 partitions

Postby srs5694 on Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:07 pm

This symptom is usually caused by one of two problems:

• A damaged partition table -- The libparted library, upon which the installer relies, flakes out when a partition table is damaged. Most libparted-based programs respond by showing the partition table as being empty. You can fix many (but not all) such problems with my FixParts program, which is part of a package called gdisk or gptfdisk in most distributions. (I don't recall which name Mint uses.) See the FixParts Web page for details of how to use it.
  • Leftover RAID metadata -- Motherboard-based software RAID schemes can leave metadata on the disk that can confuse Linux, and in particular libparted, resulting in the same symptoms as a damaged partition table. The solution is to type "sudo dmraid -E -r /dev/sda" in a shell prompt. This will erase the errant RAID data. Be sure that you're not using RAID before you do this, though. Note that some manufacturers ship their computers with RAID enabled despite the fact that they use just one hard disk.
srs5694
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Installer doesn't recognize Win8 partitions

Postby papapitufo on Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:15 am

Thank you!

FixParts solved it
papapitufo
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Installation & Boot