NEED major help, HUSSE i know you can help

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

NEED major help, HUSSE i know you can help

Postby greenducky on Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:30 am

Hey Everyone. Well hear gos

Basically. Earlier today i decided to give Dreamlinux 3.1 a test run with the live cd and it wouldnt recognize my Graphics card. i was annoyed at first. But then i removed the cd and
was about to reboot into linux mint elyssa. which i by the way i have been running since it was released, and before that i was running daryna. well as it booted up, it came to the login screen, and immediately i could tell the resolution was way off. i continued to log in and then i went to the screen resolution option, and i noticed i was at 800x600. whereas i am normally at 1440x900 widescreen. Well that wasnt an option. I didnt want to fool around with it. so i just shut down my computer and restarted again. But this time x would never start. It stated that i was in low graphics mode and that my graphics card was unreadable. now i am very annoyed. so i restarted and tried again. Nope didnt work. So i ran i number of live cd's (ubuntu, mint daryna, gOS, Dreamlinux etc) and none of them would start, all of them giving me the same message. This is weird cause my hardware hasnt changed nore have i done anything. Now when i remove the graphics card and plug directly into my onboard graphics, things work. Anyways i did that and then ran the linuxmint live cd and did a fresh install of elyssa. once installed i shut down the system and plugged my graphics card back in and then restarted and well once again it said you are in low graphics mode and that it cannot detect my graphics and monitor. Now iam mad. so i shut down and take out my Linux hard drive and plug in my old windows harddrive and then restart and it boots fine, my graphics card works great, and it says no errors.

Basically i dont know what happened ever since i ran that first live cd and then rebooted into mint it hasnt worked. That is why i thought a fresh install would do the trick and i was wrong. This setup should work cause it has always worked with every linux distro out there. I have never had an issue. Even when i have my windows hard drive installed and then i shut down and run a live cd of linux it still says the same error. It leaves at a terminal.

Right now i am on windows. and boy is it weird cause i havnt been on windows in over a year.

Hear is my hardware specs

MOBO - ASUS P5E-VM HDMI
GPU - EVGA nVidia 8800 GS
CPU - Intel 2 Duo 8400
Hard Drive Sata - 320 Gb Seagate
DVD- LG
CPU COOLER- ASUS V-60
RAM- 4gigs of Crucial Ballistic
CASE - MAC G5
PSU - Antec 430 Watt
greenducky
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: NEED major help, HUSSE i know you can help

Postby Husse on Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:16 pm

Without hands on this is a bit hard....
If your win had not worked either I would have guessed the Dreamlinux CD changed the firmware (or BIOS) of you video card so it gets crazy
Could still be that....
Boot into Windows with the nvidia card in use
Change resolution to something half crazy - reboot
Change back to your preferred resolution - reboot and check that it works
Boot a live CD but not the Dreamlinux one :)
If we are lucky (?) the card has been reset by Windows and possible to use with Linux again
Even when i have my windows hard drive installed and then i shut down and run a live cd of linux it still says the same error. It leaves at a terminal.

If this means only Win disk not the Linux hard disk it is not a Linux error, but as described above something in firmware, provided it used to work flawlessly
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby Nomad on Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:28 pm

Dreamlinux and the 8800 cards seem to have problems. My 8800 GT's were very messed up after Dreamlinux. Resolution was messed up as well as the fans. I had to flash my BIOS to repair it. Try Husse's suggestion first though.
Nomad
Level 3
Level 3

Postby greenducky on Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:50 pm

Cool Thanks Guys. I will try both of your suggestions Today. And i will get back to ya and report my findings. lucky for me i had i a win os to install from pirate bay.

Dont let today be the yesterday you regret tomorrow.
greenducky
Level 2
Level 2

Postby greenducky on Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:04 am

Hey guys thanks for your help.
I tried resetting the cmos and pulling the battery and. and everything else in the book.

no go, it just wont work.

so today i boxed up that graphics card and mobo and bought a new card and mobo

nvidia 8800gts
intel extreme dx48bt2.

but to my suprise the my 4 gigs ddr2 crucial is not compatible with the new board. the new board
is set for the future it only excepts ddr3. but i will be buying that tomorrow. but it does have 1600Mhz FSB
and tri pci e 2.0 slots. it was a spendy board and GPU. I havn't yet turned it on, but when i get the ram tomorrow hopefully
i am set, with just one thing to do. a nice fresh clean install of Elyssa. wow if id known i was practically gonna be building a new computer because of a simple live cd run of dream linux. i never would have downloaded the cd.
well hopefully i am better for it.

like i said husse thanks for your help. and i will report back with the results.

Troy
greenducky
Level 2
Level 2

Postby akshunj on Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:49 pm

I'm not familiar with Dreamlinux, but if it uses the proprietary Nvidia driver, that's probably where things went sideways. The last few drivers have changed some fan settings and such on the latest gen cards. The nvidia linux forum has MANY threads going on this...
akshunj
Level 3
Level 3

Return to Installation & Boot