LM14/Vista Dual Boot "Windows failed to start"

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

LM14/Vista Dual Boot "Windows failed to start"

Postby zpellman on Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:50 pm

Hello all,

I've been running a dual-boot setup with LM12 and Windows Vista for quite a while now, and recently upgraded from LM12 to LM14. I did a clean install of both Vista and LM14, and since then, am having problems booting into Vista from the GRUB menu. As for my setup, I have three disks. One (/dev/sdc) is dedicated to Vista and the other two (/dev/sda and /dev/sdb) are mirrored (RAID 1) and dedicated to LM14. I installed the bootloader on /dev/sda and set my BIOS to boot the RAID device before the disk Vista is on. If it matters, I'm using hardware RAID, not software RAID (at least I think... I set up the RAID options from BIOS).

I can boot into LM14 from the GRUB menu just fine. If I select Vista from the GRUB menu, however, I get an error saying "Windows failed to start" with the following information.

File: \Boot\BCD
Info: An error occurred while attempting to read the boot configuration data

I've spent the past 12+ hours trying to find a solution, including trying to install the bootloader on /dev/sdc, which didn't produce any noticeable differences. The odd thing is that if I select Vista from the BIOS boot menu, Vista boots just fine, so I don't think I've accidentally trashed Vista's bootloader. Also, if I change the BIOS boot order and put Vista before the RAID device, then not only does my computer boot straight into Vista just fine, but if I select the RAID device from the BIOS boot menu and then select Vista from the GRUB menu, Vista boots as well. It's only when I have the RAID device set to boot before Vista that I get the above error.

Even though I can get both OSs to boot, I don't really want to leave it at that, since that makes it pointless to have a GRUB entry for Vista. Plus, I use LM14 as my primary OS, and only use Vista for games, so I want it to boot LM14 by default and have the option of selecting Vista. I'm assuming this is possible somehow (why else would LM14 put a Vista option in GRUB), but I'm not sure how to do it. Despite using Linux for a few years, I have almost no idea how the internals work, especially GRUB, so any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks!

Zach

Last bumped by zpellman on Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:50 pm.
zpellman
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Installation & Boot