X Server not working (SOLVED)

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
TuftyDave
Level 4
Level 4

X Server not working (SOLVED)

Post by TuftyDave »

I'm new to Linux and Mint.
I spent ages getting my twin monitors and NVIDIA Gforce card almost working (it will manage two 1024x768 screens, but no more)
Then I saw 'extensions' in the 'settings' window and clicked to find pretty front end desktop extensions to add.
So thought I'd add the most popular one as that might cause less problems (can't remember it's name now as I only saw it once!)
I did what it said in the instructions, unpacked a zipped file, moved a folder from one place to another.
I Couldn't figure out how to 'enable' the new thing I'd added, so in the end went for a re-boot.

Now I get no GUI at all!

Just some a set of errors that allow me to look at the x server set-up and output?

Completely stuck now as I've no way of getting the information that's displayed when I try to boot unless I write it all down and type it back in but that would take forever & I'd most likely make mistakes!

I tried booting from the recover option in GRUB, but that didn't do anything.

Sorry I don't have more information, but I can get a command line if someone can tell me what to type that will help!

Anyone have any ideas?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rd20coolr

Re: X Server not working

Post by rd20coolr »

Try startx? That and starting up holding down F4 work for me.
TuftyDave
Level 4
Level 4

Re: X Server not working

Post by TuftyDave »

Thanks rd20coolr, startx was useful as it at least showed me where the error was.
I didn't know how to fix it, but a complete guess of hashing out the line that caused the error meant I got the GUI back and from there I could set the screens again.

I think I'm just going to have to wait until someone somewhere develops better Linux drivers for NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260

I can still only get the monitors to work something like by forcing 1024x768 and 60Hz on both screens. I'd much prefer them to be 1680x1050 as they are when I boot from windows.

Guess I'll just have to keep watching this space!

Return to “Installation & Boot”