UEFI doesnt seem to be enabled can I install mint no problem

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

UEFI doesnt seem to be enabled can I install mint no problem

Postby Wicky on Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:13 pm

I'm sorry but I couldn't find another thread with this question or I wouldn't have posted.

I have gotten a new laptop from work that I asked to be dual boot compatible. It came with a UEFI capable BIOS but it looks like I can toggle between how I boot. When I check my partitions they are MBR vs GPT. Does this mean I can dual boot without the same problems everyone else experiences with uefi since it appears everything is set up for legacy bios?
Computer: Lenovo T430s 64bit running Win7 on a UEFI/LEGACY BIOS.

Thanks everyone.
Wicky
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: UEFI doesnt seem to be enabled can I install mint no pro

Postby srs5694 on Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:49 pm

If Windows is booting from an MBR disk, then it's booting in BIOS mode. In this situation, you should install Linux in BIOS mode, too; do not mix modes. You should, though, be 100% sure that the disk really is an MBR disk. If the computer came with Windows 8 pre-installed, it was almost certainly installed to a GPT disk in EFI mode, so an MBR disk is unlikely. OTOH, perhaps your employer's IT department re-installed Windows in BIOS mode before you got your hands on the computer....
srs5694
Level 6
Level 6

Postby Wicky on Tue May 07, 2013 4:54 pm

Whoa I am sorry for not responding sooner. For some reason I thought I would get an email telling me I got a response.Either way.... When I specified what laptop i needed i made it clear that I needed a computer that was able to dual-boot Win/Liniux. I went through AdminTools>ComputerManagement>DiskManagement> and I right clicked on Disk 0 and from there it told me the partition style was MBR. Even though I knew they were setup the computer with dual-boot in mind I got apprehensive when I spotted the UEFI boot in BIOS and wanted to make sure before I messed something up. If I install linux alongside windows will it ask me if I want to set it up GPT or MBR? Or will it just default to MBR?
Wicky
Level 1
Level 1

Postby srs5694 on Tue May 07, 2013 11:27 pm

If you set up Linux alongside Windows, then the installer won't change the partition table type.
srs5694
Level 6
Level 6

Return to Installation & Boot