mint4win usable drive space and disk image size mismatch

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Vontux

mint4win usable drive space and disk image size mismatch

Post by Vontux »

Hello, I recently had to can a wubi based install of Ubuntu, one of the gnome based versions that just had support for it terminated this month. I decided that I was going to install Linux Mint 14 to replace it, so I dowloaded the 64 bit version of Linux Mint 14 Nadia , uninstalled Ubuntu from Windows, and then proceeded to install mint via mint4win. During the installation I allocated a 23gb size for the disk image. Once the Windows side of the installation completed, I rebooted and up came Mint. I was pleased, until I ran into a problem installing the updates, it seems that I had run out of disk space. I was perplexed by running out of disk space so quickly, so I fired up the terminal, ran "df -h /" and was shocked to discover that the total size of my hard drive was only about 4gb and I had something like 50 mb of remaining disk space. I happened to have another computer that I needed to do a Windows based install of Mint on, and again, same results. Both computers were 64 bit and both used the latest Linux Mint 14.1 Mate iso. Is this a bug? Is there some way to fix this? If anyone can help me with this I'd greatly appreciate it. :D
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: mint4win usable drive space and disk image size mismatch

Post by karlchen »

Hello, Vontux.

Typical misunderstanding:
After you had finished the Windows part of mint4win and rebooted, the Wubi/Mint4win installation was only half finished. You should have and still have to click the desktop icon "Install Linux Mint" in order to complete the Wubi/Mint4win installation of Linux Mint.
What you currently see and use is only a Mint live system, the sole purpose of which is to perform the second part of the installation.
As this is a live system you cannot perform any software upgrade.
After you have finished the real installation you will be able to do so and you will have your 23 GB of disk space that you assigned to Linux Mint.

Kind regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
Vontux

Re: mint4win usable drive space and disk image size mismatch

Post by Vontux »

karlchen wrote:Hello, Vontux.

Typical misunderstanding:
After you had finished the Windows part of mint4win and rebooted, the Wubi/Mint4win installation was only half finished. You should have and still have to click the desktop icon "Install Linux Mint" in order to complete the Wubi/Mint4win installation of Linux Mint.
What you currently see and use is only a Mint live system, the sole purpose of which is to perform the second part of the installation.
As this is a live system you cannot perform any software upgrade.
After you have finished the real installation you will be able to do so and you will have your 23 GB of disk space that you assigned to Linux Mint.

Kind regards,
Karl
You were correct, that was the problem. I can't believe I didn't notice that icon on the desktop. Thanks for your help. I didn't remember this step from my wubi based install, but then again it was almost 3 years ago....

Return to “Installation & Boot”