PXE boot live CD? - need help with syslinux options

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

PXE boot live CD? - need help with syslinux options

Postby JSchmidt on Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:49 am

Hi all,

I am using WDSLinux - http://www.syslinux.org/wiki/index.php/WDSLINUX - to boot various images. That side is working as I have PartedMagic booting fine as a memdisk/iso boot as so:

Code: Select all
LABEL PartedMagic
LINUX Linux/memdisk
INITRD Linux/pmagic.iso
APPEND iso

I tried repeating the above replacing the .iso name with my Linux Mint Cinnamon 14 .iso file.This gets me so far, I get the "Automatic Boot" countdown which then fails with the message:

Invalid or corrupt kernel image.
boot:

If I interrupt the boot countdown I get the options for the compatibility mode and integrity check which both fail with the message above.

I should mention I renamed the .iso to "Mint.iso". This is so that to update to v15 etc I was hoping I could simply download the future .iso files and rename them, and move them to the same location for an instant update.

I read some guides online, and here on the forums that relate to booting the .iso locally from a hard drive here - viewtopic.php?f=42&t=76240 - I don't know how much of it can be applied to this situation but I have tried extracting the recommended files with this boot entry:

LABEL Linux Mint
LINUX Linux/Mint/casper/vmlinuz live-media-path=/Linux/Mint/casper/
initrd Linux/Mint/casper/initrd.lz

I doublechecked the paths and filenames but with this, I get the messages:

Loading Linux/Mint/casper/vmlinuz... ok
Loading Linux/Mint/casper/initrd.lz... ok
Booting kernel failed: No such file or directory

If anyone can help with booting either the .iso or the extracted files I would be most grateful. Thanks in advance.
JSchmidt
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Installation & Boot