Installing without a CD/USB Issue

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Installing without a CD/USB Issue

Postby Dastabah on Sat May 04, 2013 10:41 am

So I lost hope for a Windows Vista Toshiba Satellite laptop a couple years ago when the USB ports broke (long story) as well as CDs/DVDs not being recognized by the computer anymore. I recently heard about the ability to install linux and was following this guide: http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/171
When I rebooted and tried to use unetbootin as my boot choice I received this error:

Try (hd0,0): NTFS5: no ubnldr
Try (hd0,1): NTFS5: 3
Try (hd0,2): invalid or null
Try (hd0,3): invalid or null
Error: cannot find grldr in all devices. Press ctrl+alt+del to restart

After searching on google/here a handful of people had the same/similar problem but no one really posted a response. Any suggestions on how to fix or an alternative to installing linux a different method from the tut I linked?

Thanks in advance, hope I can enjoy the linux sphere soon

EDIT: Tried mounting the ISO using Virtual Clone drive and running install from inside windows itself, no cigar there either
Dastabah
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Installing without a CD/USB Issue

Postby catweazel on Sat May 04, 2013 6:49 pm

Dastabah wrote:After searching on google/here a handful of people had the same/similar problem but no one really posted a response.

None of this reply is helpful, but it needs to be said, even if it's only to warn others not to attempt the task.

That no response was posted generally indicates that people don't have experience with the process. After reading the article I'm not surprised. It is very badly written, doesn't spell out the risk of permanently borking the installed OS, offers no information about recovery, etc etc etc.

Unfortunately I think you're pretty much on your own with this one. About the only worthwhile suggestion is to check the links provided by others in the comments below the article.
Mint Testing Team & Mint Donor #3606
KDE 4.12.0, custom preemptive kernel 3.12.5,
Intel i7 4770K @ 4.7GHz, 16GB 2666MHz XMP,
4 Samsung 840 PRO 512GB SSDs in RAID0,
6TB HW RAID10, dual 24" Acer X243H,
Gigabyte nVidia GTX 680 Super Overclock
catweazel
Level 7
Level 7

Return to Installation & Boot