Update to Elyssa

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

Update to Elyssa

Postby Brayn on Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:38 am

Hey,

I now have Daryana on my laptop and I can't wait for the final Elyssa to be out so I can upgrade. But until then is there any 'safe' way to upgrade to the current RC ?

I know Elyssa is still a RC and if I want to be safe I should wait for the stable release, but I was wondering if you think it would be OK to use dist-upgrade or something similar to update Daryana.

Also I've read the change log for Elyssa and I was wondering if there will be a fix for the audio driver bug that gives audio output to both speakers and headset when a headset is plugged in.

Cheers
Brayn
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Update to Elyssa

Postby Lantesh on Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:49 am

Brayn wrote:is there any 'safe' way to upgrade to the current RC ?
I was wondering if you think it would be OK to use dist-upgrade

No you can't upgrade to the current Elyssa beta. You would have to do a clean install. Running dist-upgrade will give you Hardy Heron, or some mixed version of Hardy and Mint, and will most likely break some things. Clem just announced the the final version is almost here, so it's probably best to just wait the next few days out and see what happens.
Lantesh
Level 6
Level 6

Postby tuxStyle on Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:36 am

Yes, don't do it :)

Even if i did something weird yesterday :) before i installed a fresh RC2 :)
I changed the repositories in Daryna to the repos taken from RC2 and after i did an aptitude update && aptitude safe-upgrade

After 200 MBs of updates, mintUpdate found new updates ... around 250 (or even more, i didn't counted) so, i had a new system.
A new working system :) ... quite impressive ... (my last attempt to do this with Daryna after Ubuntu 8.10 was out failed miserably :D)

After, i reinstalled a clean RC2 because what i did before was just a test to see what i get from Daryna with Elysa repos :)

Now i'm waiting for RC3 because looks like i have to wait for a while for the final Elyssa and counting the bugs solved from RC1 to RC2,
gives me the impression that RC3 will be very close to a stable Elyssa.
tuxStyle
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Brayn on Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:52 am

Thanks. I think I'll just wait for the stable to come out. I'd hate to loose my current configuration...
Brayn
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Installation & Boot