Hi all! I discovered Mint some days ago and was not yet able to install it, after some Googling, I'm here for a last try. I think I'll give up in a day or two.
Here is my setup:
- MSI GT70 "Dragon Edition" (French version)
- i7 3630QM with Intel HD Graphics 4000
- nVidia GeForce GTX 675MX. Yes, I have Optimus (and it's amazing... On Windows)
- 2x64 GB mSATA SSD in RAID0
- 750 GB 7200 rpm HDD
- Windows 8 installed on a 100 GB partition of the RAID0
- "EFI" things
I would like to install Linux Mint 14 on the remaining place on the SSDs. Here is what I did:
- Burn the Linux Mint 14 Cinnamon x64 on a DVD. Iso md5 checked.
=> Absolutly no way to start from the DVD in UEFI mode. It is not detected - at all
- Put the ISO to a USB stick with some random program (Universal-USB-Installer-18.104.22.168)
Here I am able to go to the grub/something selection menu in both UEFI and Legacy mode (after disabling secure boot etc in Bios)
- Booting in UEFI mode, because I want to have a UEFI Linux installation.
=> Any choice in the selection menu produce a Black Screen. I tried "nomodeset", "i915.modeset=1 driver intel", "i915.modeset=0", "nvidia.modeset=0", "nouveau.modeset=0". Nothing change. I was not able to go any further.
- Booting in Legacy mode, because I heard you can "translate" a Legacy installation to a UEFI one later.
=> Blank screen after menu selection. Adding "nomodeset" worked and I was able to boot the live session. Then I installed Mint, everything worked great until the end when it obviously failed to install Grub on my EFI disc/partition/thing. I tried to install grub-efi (I have internet access) but I think it's not possible from Legacy mode... Missing some vars on boot or something.
So now I have no idea what I could do. Does anybody have any solution ?
I have been googling for 2 days now. I just found some old post saying "add nomodeset" and users answering "thanks!!!! it worked!!!!" (Yeah always with an amazing number of !!!!!!11eleven)
I would be really happy to use Mint, it looks quite nice. I already installed some Ubuntu versions in the past (don't really remember, 8, 9 then 11 I think) bu it was before the UEFI era.
Thanks to anybody that could help me. Cookie to whom allow me to install it
PS: One last thing. I don't want to touch to Windows 8 - at all. So no formatting, changing partition table to MBR or something. Windows 8 works great and I don't want to break it because of Linux. I just want to try a better dev environment.
PPS: I'm pretty sure the final answer would be "You can't install it".