How much room to leave for Windows 7

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

How much room to leave for Windows 7

Postby slippery44 on Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:31 pm

Hello,

I am going to being dual booting windows 7 with Mint 14. I have a 64 bit Windows 7 install already on one of my drives (64 GB SSD) and a pretty much unused TB hard drive. My plan was to install the Mint partition on to the remaining space of the SSD (about 19 GB) and just have all of my files and programs on the TB hard drive. My main question is how much room should I leave for my Windows 7 partition, for updates and the like? I plan on using the Windows partition infrequently, but occasionally, most likely for video games, but my main use of the computer will be with Mint. I don't plan to have any of my installations on the SSD, just the OS's.

Along with this is the secondary questions: is this even a good idea? Should i just let windows have the whole 64 GB and put Mint on the hard drive?

If I let windows have the SSD and Mint have the HD does this affect the bootloader at all? I've had an older computer that had a dual boot but those were partitions on the same drive so I'm not sure what would happen with the installations being on different drives?

If I put both the OS's on the SSD and all my installations on the HD, how difficult is this to arrange in Mint, again with my previous uses of linux I've usually just installed programs as I needed, with little thought of where to put things, would it be difficult to install programs / open programs installed on a separate hard drive?

I think this about covers my questions for now, and thanks for any help!!
slippery44
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: How much room to leave for Windows 7

Postby bigj231 on Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:09 pm

You should be able to get Mint installed in 19GB, but depending on what you want to install in Windows, you may want to leave the entire SSD for Windows. You can fit a basic Windows 7 install in under 20GB.
You can easily fit a normal Mint install in 10GB if you put your home directory elsewhere.

I believe GRUB can also boot from other drives, so you could in theory install GRUB on the SSD even if Mint is on the HDD. You may want to read up on this.
Running on a 4-slot toaster @ 60Hz
bigj231
Level 5
Level 5

Return to Installation & Boot