Help with USB install

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Help with USB install

Postby Rylinkus on Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:35 pm

New laptop does not have a DVD drive. So I've been trying to boot from USB and install Mint. I've tried various USB drives, different versions of Mint 14, and unetbootin and Linux Live Usb creator. Every method creates a bootable drive. But when I chose the option from the menu to start Mint, the screen goes to black and nothing happens. After multiple attempts I decided to try a different distro and made a Ubuntu USB. And no issues, so now I've got Ubuntu instead of Windows 8. So that's an improvement, but I vastly would prefer Mint. Any suggestions?
Rylinkus
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Help with USB install

Postby bigj231 on Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:19 pm

You can install the ubuntu USB creator to make a bootable USB, but I don't think that's the issue. Did you disable secureboot? I think Ubuntu has a secureboot key, so it can install on a Windows 8 system.

If you just want Cinnamon, you can install it in Ubuntu. If you want all the Mint goodies though, I would try disabling secureboot and installing Mint then.

After you verify you can boot into Mint, something else you can try is adding the Mint repositories and installing all of the Mint goodies from there (mint-meta-cinnamon, or mint-meta-mate if you prefer). This might result in a broken system though, so only try this if you were going to reinstall anyway. It might end up being faster than completely reinstalling if it works.
Running on a 4-slot toaster @ 60Hz
bigj231
Level 5
Level 5

Return to Installation & Boot