Fresh install Mint 5 Elyssa and no gui to be had

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Re: Fresh install Mint 5 Elyssa and no gui to be had

Postby Splunge on Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:07 am

Hmmm, I too used EXT3 when setting my partitions. Might try a re-install tonight to see if changing helps mine. Not got anything set-up yet so a few reinstalls wont hurt :)

I tried it this morning before work and it just wouldn't boot again. Something definitely not happy, at least on my machine :(

I'll keep checking this thread though because it seems there is a few of us with the issue, sure we crack it between us.
Splunge
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby Computersleuth on Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:58 am

Again, I think the core issue is that Mint cannot find partition "/", and so it defaults to its basic shell as the interface.

I believe that a number of problems can all result in the same sympton; that is, going to the basic shell and not getting a GUI.

In my case, I had set the file system as ext3. Apparently, ext3 is not a good file system to use for the Mint executables. Changing the file system to ext2 and reformatting made it work for me.
Computersleuth
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Missed on Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:46 pm

I'm not convinced that EXT3 is the problem. I have just read the User Guide, and it specifically says to use EXT3 for the root partition.
Missed
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Joe Mama on Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:05 pm

I'm having the same problem as everyone else here. How is it that an LTS release that is supposedly rock solid stable is unable to even boot on so many machines? That's inexcusable. I'm really disappointed in the Mint team for this one. For now I'll stick with Daryna until this ridiculous bug is fixed.
Joe Mama

Postby Splunge on Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:14 pm

Well, Don't know if the EXT thing is the issue, but, I reinstalled and chose reiserFS << don't know how good it is to be honest and I am now typing from a fully functional booting Mint.

Kind if weird that the RC worked for me and many others but not the final? Was something relating to the file system in anyway changed?
I would suggest trying it to others with a different format option, just to see if we can find a common solution to offer others should the need arise.

Any advice on using this now with Reiser, do I have to bear anything in mind?

Any comments from any of the Mint team? We need help :)

Cheers
Splunge
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Computersleuth on Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:51 pm

Missed wrote:I'm not convinced that EXT3 is the problem. I have just read the User Guide, and it specifically says to use EXT3 for the root partition.

Yep. It sure does say ext3. Unfortunately, ext3 does not work as the root partition on my system. I did use ext3 for the root partition on my beta 048 installation.
Computersleuth
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Joe Mama on Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:35 pm

Can anyone else confirm that picking a different filesystem is the solution to this?
Joe Mama

Postby Computersleuth on Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:34 pm

Joe Mama wrote:I'm having the same problem as everyone else here. How is it that an LTS release that is supposedly rock solid stable is unable to even boot on so many machines? That's inexcusable. I'm really disappointed in the Mint team for this one. For now I'll stick with Daryna until this ridiculous bug is fixed.

On software of any significant size, there exists bugs. I suggest you get used to it.
Computersleuth
Level 1
Level 1

Postby vortex_noob on Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:51 pm

Joe Mama wrote:I'm having the same problem as everyone else here. How is it that an LTS release that is supposedly rock solid stable is unable to even boot on so many machines? That's inexcusable. I'm really disappointed in the Mint team for this one. For now I'll stick with Daryna until this ridiculous bug is fixed.

This is not a Mint-isolated problem. The same thing is happening with Ubuntu Hardy.

BTW, I reinstalled Elyssa and adding:
"all_generic_ide floppy=off irqpoll" after "quiet_splash" in /boot/grub/menu.lst

And so far it works :)
vortex_noob
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Missed on Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:55 pm

When the iso is updated for the "mintassistant bug", I'll download it and try a fresh install with ext2 for the root.

Would be nice to see some input from Clem or Husse about this issue.
Missed
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Computersleuth on Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:27 pm

vortex_noob wrote:

This is not a Mint-isolated problem. The same thing is happening with Ubuntu Hardy.

"all_generic_ide floppy=off irqpoll" after "quiet_splash" in /boot/grub/menu.lst

What is the procedure for modifying /boot/grub/menu.lst when we are unable to boot into Linux? Do we use the text editor off of the live-cd?
Computersleuth
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Computersleuth on Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:28 pm

vortex_noob wrote:

What is the procedure for modifying /boot/grub/menu.lst when we are unable to boot into Linux? Do we use the text editor off of the live-cd?
Computersleuth
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Missed on Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:41 pm

I reinstalled using EXT2 for root. Couldn't get to the desktop at all. Reinstalled with EXT3, and got to the desktop first try.
So, no nearer to a solution.

If the problem reappears I'll try the modified boot argument.
Missed
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Missed on Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:42 pm

Computersleuth wrote:
vortex_noob wrote:

Yes.
Missed
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Joe Mama on Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:12 pm

Computersleuth wrote:

On software of any significant size, there exists bugs. I suggest you get used to it.

I realize that bugs will alwas exist, and that's fine. Maybe I can't watch youtube or play mp3's or access my email or whatever, but being unable to boot my computer is in fact inexcusable. This being an LTS release makes it even more so.

Mint is supposed to be the most user friendly linux, a kind of way to ween pc users off of windows, but when they try an OS that isn't even going to boot for them do you think they'll check the forums and see if there's a solution? No, they'll probably just chuck the CD deciding that this is a garbage OS without even trying it.

"Getting used to it" really isn't a viable answer to most people's problems.
Joe Mama

Postby gamx on Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:20 am

lol i kinda gave up and converted to arch linux :)
gamx
Level 1
Level 1

Postby muddygeek on Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:38 pm

Its funny that I just reinstalled Ubuntu 8.04 on the same laptop that prompted this thread in the first place. Several days later and the only solution I've heard is to edit boot files. Hell no. That is not acceptable.

As for bugs, yes, software has them. However, the acceptable limitation is what's giving Vista a very bad name. I do not want to see the same happen to Linux or specifically Mint.

So where is the official Mint help here? Oh wait, they're focused on some root error in mintAssistant. I don't think I even want to get started on how bad of a solution that was.
muddygeek
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Computersleuth on Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:46 pm

Joe Mama wrote:
Computersleuth wrote:

I realize that bugs will alwas exist, and that's fine. Maybe I can't watch youtube or play mp3's or access my email or whatever, but being unable to boot my computer is in fact inexcusable. This being an LTS release makes it even more so.

Mint is supposed to be the most user friendly linux, a kind of way to ween pc users off of windows, but when they try an OS that isn't even going to boot for them do you think they'll check the forums and see if there's a solution? No, they'll probably just chuck the CD deciding that this is a garbage OS without even trying it.

"Getting used to it" really isn't a viable answer to most people's problems.

I apologize. I did not mean to come across as angry or judgmental. It is a fact, however, that all software has bugs.
Computersleuth
Level 1
Level 1

Postby clem on Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:50 pm

Hi,

I'll be away for a week so I won't be able to help much with that.. but it looks like it's a problem with the 2.6.24-16 kernel and your hardware. One of my box has the same issue.. the solution is to use kernel boot options.

To do it once: in the grub screen... choose 2.6.24-16-generic and edit the boot line to add "all_generic_ide floppy=off irqpoll" after "quiet_splash".

To do it permanently, edit the file /boot/grub/menu.lst, find the line for 2.6.24-16-generic and do the same in there.

On my box, adding "irqpoll" in the end of the boot line does the trick.. I don't need the other options, but some of you might, depending on your hardware. This new kernel is great but as with every new kernel we find we need new boot options to make it behave nicely... that's the trade off.. with innovation comes regressions.

Once everything is fixed I would recommend getting the new kernel from the repositories (mintUpdate level 4/5) and giving it a try to see if it works fine without any option.

Clem.
clem
Level 15
Level 15

Postby Guest on Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:19 pm

That's strange because Hardy worked fine for me...

Isn't it the same kernel? Oh well, I'll give this a go. Thanks Clem.

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

PreviousNext

Return to Installation & Boot